Options

How much is associating your MCP ID with a company worth?

jayc71jayc71 Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
My MCP ID is not currently associated with any company and I do freelance work on the side. One company wants to set up an agreement where I would be available for remote work on an as-needed basis, however they are asking me how much I would charge them to associate my MCP ID with them for 1yr.

1. Is that even a good idea?

2. I have no idea how much to ask if I did do it.... What is that worth?
CISSP, CCSP, CCSK, Sec+, AWS CSA/Developer/Sysops Admin Associate, AWS CSA Pro, AWS Security - Specialty, ITILv3, Scrummaster, MS, BS, AS, my head hurts.

Comments

• Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you don't have an ongoing work relationship with them don't do it. If you do associate your ID don't accept payment for it. When you are done working for them, yank your association. They want your MCP associated with them to help them in attaining and/or maintaining Microsoft Partner status.
  • Options
    If you don't have an ongoing work relationship with them don't do it. If you do associate your ID don't accept payment for it. When you are done working for them, yank your association. They want your MCP associated with them to help them in attaining and/or maintaining Microsoft Partner status.

I realize this, I'm just kind of taken aback by the request. I've never been asked that before. I understand completely what associating my MCP ID will do for them, I am just a bit surprised by the request I guess. I am thinking of offering to do so, but with the understanding that if they don't offer a certain amount of work per week/month I will un-associated my ID from their company. Is there any penalty or is it a bad practice to associate your ID with a company in this manner? Essentially, I don't want to do something that will reflect negatively on myself or my certification status.
    CISSP, CCSP, CCSK, Sec+, AWS CSA/Developer/Sysops Admin Associate, AWS CSA Pro, AWS Security - Specialty, ITILv3, Scrummaster, MS, BS, AS, my head hurts.
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Unless I am mistaken the partner program changed recently so that you need people with specific certifications with the number based on what your partner status is. I would have to go through my back newsletters for the current requirements to be sure. So a partner needs more certified people than in years past; more like Cisco's requirements with MS partners doing the same things as Cisco partners e.g. work the numbers on paper. I suspect we will see more of this.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    I'm not familiar with the current rules, but I still understand what they are trying to to. That said, if I was to agree to something like this, is there any way to quantify a price for an MCSE:S to associate with them?
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    i usually have no qualm with associating my certs with work. however you better believe i will yank it away the second i leave.

edit: do not accept payment for renting your personal accomplishments out
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□

I will provide the counter argument. Determine what you think it is worth and do it. You worked to earn those certifications and your work is valuable... it is your right to earn compensation for it and someone has offered to compensate you. It may be nontraditional, but it is within the possible and there is no ethical dilemma here. If you don't want to do it, then don't... if you would prefer the compensation, then do it. Pretty simple.

I would throw out a number like $5k/year to associate your MCP ID... but tell them you need some minimum number of hours for that rate. If they don't want to guarantee any work, tell them you need more money for it, say $8k/year or $10k/year.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I would be careful associating my number with another organization. What happens when you need to remove it? Do you need their permisson to remove it? Or are you ok with associating wherever and whenever someone needs an extra MCP on staff? (and yes, it is as simple as you disassociatin yourself from them, but if they are counting on you, and you remove it, they may now be short).

I have friends who have let their largest client claim their number, but they pretty much are the 100% goto person on the account and only work a handful of extra clients for some extra income.

You can only associate 1 account with your ID, so if you ever wanted to have your own MS account, you'd simply pull it, but leave them hang. And, there are benefits to the higher partner levels, but who will be paying for it? Do you need to pay a portion of the fees? Or will they allow you to ride for 'free' so long as you provide your MCP number?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The problem with accepting money specifically for associating your ID with their account is that you now have a contract. I would much rather do whatever I want with my ID whenever I want. If you are comfortable locking your ID in, go for it. $5K just isn't enough for something like that.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    I don't know about renting out your association for money, but. . .

if you can get perks like MSDN or TechNet through them, it might be worth it.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    petedude wrote: »
    I don't know about renting out your association for money, but. . .

if you can get perks like MSDN or TechNet through them, it might be worth it.

I don't think it would be wise to 'sell' the number for use, as I mentioned, the folks I know who have done this, are essentially an employee of the other company because they are the sole supporter of the network.

Where the benefit comes in for them, is exactly what you are thinking, they (as a member of this organization) qualify to use their licensed MS products for testing and rolling out updates for their company...in return, my friend gains experience and such he takes with him to other jobs, but since nearly 80-90% of his time is onsite with this one company, he's sort of their employee...only they pay him per job and he rents a desk.

Without reading though all the MS stuff, I cannot imagine they would leave out a clause about 'selling' your number for use, because the number belongs to them, assigned to you in recognition of passing exams. If you fall out of character, they can discontinue (or whatever the proper word is here) your rights to using that number. So, I don't think you can 'sell' it.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I haven't had a situation where my employer wanted my numbers because they have been large enough that they get the top partnerships and don't need any more. There is one job opportunity that I have right now where it would be likely they would want my numbers, however.

If you aren't doing anything with it... I say get the cash.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro