Options

Sixth-Grade Developer Teaches Students How to Make Apps

computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
Sixth-Grade Developer Teaches Students How to Make Apps - Education - GOOD

This kid is going places, what do you guys think? I love the idea of having app clubs at schools and having students learn programming.
There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)

Comments

• Options
    WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248
    Yeah, thats awesome. When I was in Junior High the only technology related course we had was Gen-Y. Basically did some dreamweaver, HTML, made some cables, etc...
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    Whiteout wrote: »
    Yeah, thats awesome. When I was in Junior High the only technology related course we had was Gen-Y. Basically did some dreamweaver, HTML, made some cables, etc...

Yeah wish I had something..

but then again - .... I kinda liked being OUTSIDE and playing?
  • Options
    drkat wrote: »

Okay buddy. This was a class, during school time. My other options we're a foreign language, band, choir, or home ec.

I spent plenty of time outside, dude. Go trol1 else where?
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
    drkat wrote: »

Kid who's awesome at kickball and playing on monkey bars vs the kid who can create apps...

I've been joking with my family that I'm going to teach my daughter to read code instead of books lol
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I feel old. When I was that age, you were lucky if you got to play "The Oregon Trail" on an Apple IIe at school. I had taught myself BASIC and written a small text based adventure game when I was only in 3rd grade, but it was done at home. They didn't teach computers at all back then.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I'm not really keen toward the idea of kids staying in front of a computer for hours, even if it's programming. There's time for everything, he should be out playing, and building social skills...
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Social skills? I thought that is what Facebook is for...Most schools offer programming courses at this point (my school offered VB, C++, Java, and AP Level Java). At that level I would probably focus more of the logic of programming rather then a language or certain programming skills.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Let the kid do what he wants. Obvousilly he is socially active if he is making a wack a beiber game. Sure a balance of playing with friends outside and inside activities is needed, but if a child takes interest in technology at a young age, by all means help them by giving them oppurtunities to learn.
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    I'm not really keen toward the idea of kids staying in front of a computer for hours, even if it's programming. There's time for everything, he should be out playing, and building social skills...

Agreed and all I was attempting with my post. Thanks UnixGuy
  • Options
    IEWANNABEIEWANNABE Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There's plenty of time in a day for a kid to learn tech stuff and play outside with the kids.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If he has skill, let him use it now. If he makes a killer app and retires at 18, he will have plenty of time to play.
This discussion has been closed.