70-643 last-minute catch up

ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
This Thursday, the 17th, I am taking 70-643. I feel fairly well prepared in three of the four objectives. But I'm really struggling to progress in Configuring Network Application Services.

I've studied using entirely the Microsoft Press book (Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Second Edition) and the Transcenders 70-643 exam. I'm pretty consistently getting 70-80% in the other three sections. I'm an IT consultant and have implemented RDS environments and migrated IIS 6 web sites to IIS 7/7.5 web sites, and have plenty of Exchange experience (which makes the SMTP material a joke). I haven't worked with most of the "Deploying Servers" technology, but I've implemented VMware in SAN environments and the Hyper-V differences weren't hard to grasp. KMS is pretty straightforward and the HA stuff just kind of clicks. So I think I'm good, or at least "good enough" in the top three objectives.

Sharepoint in particular is my downfall. I am consistently scoring under 60% on Transcenders, usually under 50%. I'm not doing much better and Streaming Media Services. I know that this objective is "only" 21% of the exam, and that realistically my real-world exposure to both roles is going to be minimal, but I'm very worried I won't pass as a result of how poor my scores here are. I have re-read chapters 8 and 9 three or four times each. I get the same questions wrong in the book and in Transcenders. I get the concepts and the basics, but the devil is in the details.

Does anyone have any advice on 70-643? I'm hoping there's a great piece of study material or lab that will get me up to speed pretty quickly. I've probably put in 30-40 hours studying and my time is running out. I'm interested in any tips on the other sections, because I definitely might have glossed specific material that could be big on the test, but I'm mostly need to improve my Sharepoint and Streaming Media knowledge quickly.
Working B.S., Computer Science
Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
In progress: CLEP US GOV,
Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340

Comments

• bdubbdub Member Posts: 154
    Do you have a lab setup? I'd say lab the hell outa anything you feel you are weak in. I recently passed this exam and without breaking NDA, how things are configured is probably the most important thing to know for this exam, ie where various options/settings are.

I thought most of the questions were pretty straight forward, a few seemed like trick questions. I had some "simulation" type questions on this one, 640 and 642 were all just multiple choice, so that sort of threw me off.

CBT nuggets and labbing was probably the most helpful for me.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have a lab, but to be honest I've been too lazy to lab Sharepoint. Now that you say it, it seems so obvious. The tip on the labs and how things are configured is actually very helpful. Thanks!
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    I did the book labs for Sharepoint and Streaming Media. I actually feel quite a bit better about Streaming Media now, and a little bit better about Sharepoint. The sad thing is I have actually played with Sharepoint in the real world a bit, but I'm still very uncomfortable with it.

I took a quick 5-question Transcender test and immediately ran into a question about licensing that is not covered in the book. I'm honestly wondering at this point if either A. Transcender covers materials more in-depth than the exam B. The book material is not sufficient for the exam (or certain objectives/sub-objectives). I've taken and passed four MS tests over the last few years and I've only ever used the Microsoft Press material alongside Preplogic or Transcender practice exams to study, and I can't say I recall seeing test material that wasn't covered in the books.

I've also noticed the 70-643 Transcender is pretty bad, with a staggering portion (at least 20%) of questions sorted into wrong sub-objectives and even wrong objectives, along with some horribly worded questions, explanations, and even a couple of wrong answers. That doesn't make me confident that I can do "okay" on Transcender and pass the test, but on the other hand there have been several other questions that were not covered in MS Press. I also passed 70-648 with mediocre Transcender scores, though nothing in the 50% range as I'm doing on Sharepoint & Streaming Media.
    Ok, I'm doing much better on all areas now. SharePoint will never be my specialty, but I know it enough that I'm not... afraid of it anymore. I'm testing in the 70s and 80s now. It also evidently helps to not take practice tests at 1:00am after a long day of work and studying. I think I might lab WDS, re-read a couple of chapters, take two more tests, and hopefully pass it tomorrow. :)
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Bring back a pass for us, will ya?!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Essendon wrote: »
    Bring back a pass for us, will ya?!
    I'll try!

I just scored 49/50 on what is my last full practice before the test. Admittedly, I've burned through almost all of the Transcenders questions and might be overconfident as a result of knowing the answers to questions I've already been asked. That said, when I answer a question, I always think about whether I simply know the answer or understand the answer. I felt I understood thoroughly about 95% of the questions and why the answers I picked were the right ones.

I leave in an hour, and I think I'm ready.
    Just failed, 630/700. I was shocked at how difficult some of the questions were. There were a surprising number of non-MC questions. I did not lab most sub-objectives, and this alone resulted in my failure. I thought I was good on Deploying Servers. Evidently not, because I got half the questions wrong. I rocked Web Services Infrastructure, apparently missing one question (the bar is just a sliver from being all the way to the right), and did pretty well on RDS (about 85%, from the looks of it. I did a manageable ~60% on Network Application Servers.

I somehow managed to hit a couple of really tricky storage and HA questions, which are two sub-objectives I normally do great on. I'm pretty sure I got two questions on those two sub-objectives wrong, probably due to rarely working with failover clusters and almost never working on VHDs. I wish they broke it down by sub-objective, as this is a test with 22 fairly distinct sub-objectives.

At this point, I'm thinking I need to lab Hyper-V and Failover Clustering with a SAN. I actually do have "sufficient" equipment to do this at home using iSCSI software targets, but I really don't want to throw 5-10 hours into building a lab to use it once and then tear it down for something useful. Is anyone aware of any good simulators for this? I really just need to know where to click in the interfaces and navigate it confidently.
    Also, I have to mention, the Transcenders for this one is just horrible. I looked over my test this morning and realized there were three questions marked as WDS that are not even 70-643 material. They were server core questions that belong on 70-640 (I'm positive they are 70-640 material). I'm fresh off of my 70-648 pass and was happy to answer some easy Server Core questions without looking twice and thinking "Wait a minute, this has absolutely nothing to do with WDS?".

I'm not blaming Transcenders for my fail, because I was admittedly too lazy to lab Hyper-V or any HA stuff. But Transcenders didn't help by making me feel overconfident on the entire Objective.
  • Ch@rl!3m0ngCh@rl!3m0ng Member Posts: 139
    Unlucky man and am feeling ya have just failed this one too.
    Currently reading: Syngress Linux + and code academy website (Java and Python modules)

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'
    I'm taking it in three days. I've already labbed failover clusters and WDS. I may still lab Hyper-V. I also forced myself to answer the case study questions in the book, and I mean really answer them, and that has helped. I'm still scoring 90% on Transcenders, and somehow it found a few new questions for me.
    I labbed Hyper-V and failover clusters. I also watched a technet video on Hyper-V and actually read through most of the Technet material on failover clusters and Hyper-V. It was just as dry as the MS Press stuff, but I feel like it was valuable. I'm feeling much more confident on Hyper-V options, CSVs, and quorum configurations. I also read more Technet on WDS, and actually I'm planning two real-life WDS projects right now, so I damn well better know it.

Since doing all that, I've gotten 19 out of 20 on Deploying Servers in Transcenders. I just scored 83% on Skillsoft, which is pretty good compared to the previous 65% I got, which improvement in each area.

I'm still rocking RDS and Web Services, with 86% each on Skillsoft, despite some real gotchas. I generally feel very confident in these areas. I'm doing better and better in Network Application Services, but it will never be my strong point. I'm hoping to get 80s and 90s everywhere else on Monday and compensate for this weakness.

I'm still going to put in another 6-10 hours tomorrow and Monday morning. I really hope I pass, because I'm going to have to make one hell of lab to learn anything more than what I already have (doing more comprehensive Hyper-V and Streaming Media labs would fill a gap for me).
    Exactly 12 hours before my second attempt, I find myself in need of something other than MS Press for Sharepoint. I took another Transcender and got in the 80s on Deploying Servers and Web Services, 100% on RDS, but 45% on Network Application Services. Transcenders asks me syntax questions about SharePoint commands that MS Press just briefly mentions in "Exam Tips". The book might as well be a list of links to Technet, the content is so lacking in depth (for SharePoint, anyway).
  • ConradJConradJ Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I, too, was terrified of the SharePoint aspect. Thankfully I had only questions on which I had the answers for from Technet.

Also, it may be worth watching these videos:

SharePoint Server 2010 What Can SharePoint 2010 Do for Me TechNet

5, 7, 8 and 9 may be of particular relevance.
    Configure SharePoint Foundation options.
    May include but is not limited to: site permissions; backup; service accounts; rights management services (RMS); migration; audience targeting; claims-based authentication; SharePoint Timer jobs; usage and report logging

Configure SharePoint Foundation integration.
    May include but is not limited to: configuring a document library to receive e-mail; configuring incoming vs. outgoing e-mail; support for Office Web Apps and SharePoint Workspaces

Best of luck on your re-run.
    I manged to get some of the videos in this morning before my test.

I failed again. I did almost exactly the same on Network Application Services, a little better on Deploying Servers, and much, much worse on Web Services Infrastructure and RDS. I got 507 total, compared to 630 on my first attempt. I'm at a total loss for what do even do at this point. I can live with my Sharepoint/WMS score at this point, and I could maybe even get by with my Deploying Services score. But RDS and Web? I was so rock solid on those two. I work with each in the real world almost every day, even if not on the same scale as the exam material. I've re-read most MS Press chapters 3+ time and spent a few hours on Technet. I'm out of practice exams I haven't memorized 95% of and out of study material.

Maybe it was nerves, overthinking answers, or just lack of sleep. But honestly, I could have guessed my way to 507 without having labbed anything.

I've got about three weeks before I try again. I'm planning on labbing a full RDS infrastructure, and I'll probably re-read the whole damn book anyway. Any suggestions on anything else I can do?
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sorry about the fail. I'm retaking this exam on Wednesday.

I'm guessing you were pretty strong on media services since you didn't seem to get a lot of questions on those? I've been living in that subject the past couple of days.
  • ConradJConradJ Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I still can't believe I'm weak on IIS and strong on anything in Network Application Services. Another book might be worthwhile, just to give me something different to study.

My first attempt yielded roughly these results:
    Deploying Servers - 56%
    Configuring RDS - 77%
    Configuring a Web Services Infrastructure - 92.5%
    Configuring Network Application Services - 59%

My second attempt have me this:
    Deploying Servers - 64%
    Configuring RDS - 53%
    Configure a Web Services Infrastructure - 53%
    Configuring Network Application Services - 60%

Pretty bad stuff. I think I just choked. I don't see how I could get so close, study a bunch more, and then lose so much ground.

I'll look into other books, and see if labbing helps. What I really need at this point is a practice exam that I don't know all the answers to. Skillsoft and Transcender are out at this point.
    I'll give you a tip on the 643, even though I know I'll be borderline contravening the NDA by saying this - If there's something within IIS and RDS which can be done with a GPO, know it. Check this link out. I cannot find the link for the IIS GPO section, do a search for yourself please. This is the most I can advise you without divulging an actual question.

So if there's anything on the 643 that can be done with a GPO, you ought to know it. Good luck on the next re-take. I'd suggest a lot more labbing for next time. It took me two tries to get past this bugger too.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Thanks for that. I do think I know the GPOs fairly well, at least for RDS -- the part I struggled on with RDS was more combinations of RDCB, RDWA, and RemoteApp. I'm good on all three individually, but I had multiple questions combining them that I simply didn't know. I'll look over the GPO stuff anyway, just to be sure.

I also struggle to remember ImageX and WDS command-line syntax, which is understandable given that I almost never work with them and it's hard to get any value out of labbing them unless you go through the full process and then some. I'm pretty sure I could start and finish my MCITP:EMA faster than my EA at this point, simply because I work with Exchange periodically. I work with IIS almost entirely in the context of Exchange, and I work with WDS, Sharepoint, Streaming Media, RD Web and RD Gateway... pretty much never.

I really think I just burned out a bit. I went straight from 70-648 to 70-643. I scheduled 70-643 a few days after passing 70-648, so I've been studying 3-5 nights a week and 1-2 days a weekend. I'm just gonna relax a couple days, then jump back into studying and labbing.
  • crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    Sorry to hear about your fail. Sounds like your idea to take a few days to "reboot" yourself is what you need. Get back in there with a fresh mind and a fresh attitude on it and you will do better.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
    After taking a fairly extended break in December, I resumed active studying this year. I've put together an extensive lab for RDS, and I'm feeling much better about the material. Honestly, I'm not sure that reading alone was an effective way to really grasp the depth of RDS. Yes, I've built RDS environments before, but not using all of the role services in various configurations. I think I'll be a lot more prepared when I redo this.

I've also read through several sections of Windows Server 2008 R2 Unleashed. It's a good book, but some sections are better than others for purposes of certification study. I can see it being a valid way to learn about Server 2008 R2 from the ground up for someone with less experience, but I haven't found it be great for certification study. Still, it's helped a little and I'm only a little bit away from being able to pass this.

I've also labbed Sharepoint again for good measure. I still can't bring myself to bother labbing IIS, but I'm actually working with IIS on a regular basis and it's still my strongest area. I think a bit more labbing, a few run-throughs in MS Press on my weak areas, and I'll be ready. I'm going to attempt this in January, and hopefully that will be the end of it. I am already behind schedule and need to complete my EA this quarter, and I'm not letting this test stop me.
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can do it!
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ptilsen wrote: »
    I've also labbed Sharepoint again for good measure. I still can't bring myself to bother labbing IIS, but I'm actually working with IIS on a regular basis and it's still my strongest area. I think a bit more labbing, a few run-throughs in MS Press on my weak areas, and I'll be ready. I'm going to attempt this in January, and hopefully that will be the end of it. I am already behind schedule and need to complete my EA this quarter, and I'm not letting this test stop me.

643 is chock-full of RDS, IIS and Sharepoint. Trust me, you will want to get in as much IIS 7.0 and IIS 7.5 time as you can. It can be the difference between a pass and a fail. At the very least, make sure you are familiar with the IIS coverage from the Unleashed book. It was a lot but it helped me out in the end.

I hated taking this exam four times.......and I wish I could specifically tell you what about IIS you should know. But knowing what's on the objectives and then some is a pretty accurate statement I can give without violating the NDA. :)

Best of luck!
    Listen to ERP and lab it up while you still can. I know your a capable guy, but make your stronger areas still stronger and beat that test into a pulp. Good luck!!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..