Options

Quitting my job soon...

IPDirectIPDirect Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am a CCNP in R&S and am about to start my CCIE R&S journey.

Due to the size of my current company, they are unable to offer me a decent salary. I'm going to begin looking for a new job in the upcoming months. Since the CCIE R&S track focuses on a wide variety of technologies, I figured I'd start with (and become highly skilled at) a certain topic or two to spruce up my resume. Any suggestions on which topics would be most useful based on current job trends? Ex. Security, IPv6, QOS, etc

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    IPDirect wrote: »
    I am a CCNP in R&S and am about to start my CCIE R&S journey.

Due to the size of my current company, they are unable to offer me a decent salary. I'm going to begin looking for a new job in the upcoming months. Since the CCIE R&S track focuses on a wide variety of technologies, I figured I'd start with (and become highly skilled at) a certain topic or two to spruce up my resume. Any suggestions on which topics would be most useful based on current job trends? Ex. Security, IPv6, QOS, etc

I dont understand the question. Is it CCIE study advice you want or careers advice?
  • Options
    sieffsieff Member Posts: 276
    I've never seen an unemployed CCIE.

HTH.
    "The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." from the poem: The Ladder of St. Augustine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • Options
    ipSpaceipSpace Member Posts: 147
    Hello,

I recommend starting with BGP, QoS and MPLS . Eventhough you should know basic BGP configuration.
    I think that those are the most used, when an employer is trying to recruit a new guy. This normally apply for NOCs jobs.

My Network & Security Blog with a focus on Fortigate. New post on how to create a fortigate ssl vpn.
  • Options
    RickRandhawaRickRandhawa Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    I dont understand the question. Is it CCIE study advice you want or careers advice?

Both.:)
    I wanted to know which CCIE topics I should first master in order to make myself most marketable since I'll be applying for a new job while still studying for the CCIE.
  • Options
    SettSett Member Posts: 187
    I think some of the topics that make the difference between the regular network engineers and the distinguished ones are MPLS (VPLS, TE...), Multicast and IPv6
    You'll not find these technologies everywhere though, but the overall understanding of them is not very good.
    Non-native English speaker
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You should understand the following well for routing and switching:

Path determination methods
    Filtering
    Summarization
    Aggregate announcements
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    For my 2 cents...

You cannot know enough security and QoS. If your future company requires multicast, own that too.

In my experience, most companies (outside of ISP's) don't give a rat's ass about ipv6, and have only a token interest in BGP (a one-time setup if they have mutliple ISP's providing multiple internet feeds). It's the internal stuff... like firewalls, an IPS, QoS, clean routing and spanning-tree setups, etc... that matter most.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.