CCENT FAIL - Suggestions

rolyohhrolyohh Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
I took ICND1 on Friday and received a 799, 804 to pass. Although I was upset with the outcome I was happy that I did as well as I did considering how in-depth the questions were. I felt prepared but not I know what I am lacking. With that being said, can anyone give me advice on my approach below?

I want to become a CCNA. I have registered to start class in Jan at the Cisco Net academy in my area, do you think I should take the CCNA exam in one shot after receiving some training or do you think it might be better to take the ICND1 exam, pass and take ICND2 after the academy? I personally would like to continue studying but purchase materials for the CCNA, any advice?

Any material recommendations?

Comments

• SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    I found the Exam Cram CCNA book pretty down to earth and easy to understand.
    I also use the Chris Bryant ebooks.

Of course, I don't know what material you used.
  • universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    the odom icnd1 and 2 books, the lammle ccna book and the chris bryant ebook are about the best sources out there. I would start with lammle and bryant and finish it off with odom if you need more indepth info.
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
  • BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do you have lab equipment, some think that they don't need it for the exam, but seriously I would never have passed my test without physical equipment. I spent so much time trying to figure out my own mistakes, that I knew show commands like the back of my hand. Working on physical equipment basically seared this stuff in my brain.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    You should have got a break down of the topic areas with the % for each
    That should tell you what you need to go and study more on.
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    rolyohh wrote: »
    I took ICND1 on Friday and received a 799, 804 to pass. Although I was upset with the outcome I was happy that I did as well as I did considering how in-depth the questions were. I felt prepared but not I know what I am lacking. With that being said, can anyone give me advice on my approach below?

I want to become a CCNA. I have registered to start class in Jan at the Cisco Net academy in my area, do you think I should take the CCNA exam in one shot after receiving some training or do you think it might be better to take the ICND1 exam, pass and take ICND2 after the academy? I personally would like to continue studying but purchase materials for the CCNA, any advice?

I suggest you do some Packet Tracer labs or if that's not available to you, then some GNS3. ICND1, as i can recall, focuses a lot of basic networking fundamentals as well as learning how to navigate the cisco IOS. however, a break down on your scores provided on the print out should tell you what you need to focus on.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • tink334tink334 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You really need to understand/master all the material in ICND1 in order to be prepared for ICND2 which is much harder. I failed ICND1 once then took ICND2 3 time to pass. Stick with it and don''t give up and good luck.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    rolyohh wrote: »

Nobody should be failing the CCENT, it's a very accessible certification. You have not studied hard enough or long enough. Take two months out studying thoroughly for this cert. Once you clear it easily you can start to think about CCNA.
  • jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    How were you going for time during the exam? How is your subnetting?
  • Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
    Blackout wrote: »
    Do you have lab equipment, some think that they don't need it for the exam, but seriously I would never have passed my test without physical equipment. I spent so much time trying to figure out my own mistakes, that I knew show commands like the back of my hand. Working on physical equipment basically seared this stuff in my brain.

I second this.. with physical equipment you get so much more experience than with labs and stuff that could already be setup for you. When I lab, I completely wipe out my config usually twice a night on each of my routers and or switches. Then redo the entire config for the next lab. It's ruthlessly time consuming, but I got an 899 on my ICND1 and plan to get a better score on 2.