Options

Looking for suggestions for a new switch

qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
Were moving in to a new office since our office is growing and was wondering what you guys/girls had for suggestions. For now we need a POE switch for approximatly 30 people. Right now we have a Netgear FS728TP FS728TP and if possible id like to move away from netgear. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Don't get Cisco SLM series. No CLI, need to hard reboot periodically, etc.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    How much are you looking to spend?
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    VAHokie56 wrote: »
    How much are you looking to spend?

I haven't been given the company card yet nor budget but most decent ones that Ive seen seem to cost around a grand
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    qwertyiop wrote: »
    I haven't been given the company card yet nor budget but most decent ones that Ive seen seem to cost around a grand

Are you wanting to go Cisco or the alternatives (e.g., Brocade, Juniper, etc.)?
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    alternatives, for example a former co-worker was suggesting this PowerConnect 3548P Switch Details | Dell
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    alternatives, for example a former co-worker was suggesting this PowerConnect 3548P Switch Details | Dell

That appears to be 10/100. Not sure if you're ok with 10/100 or want gigabit.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Gigabit or go home! We use HP ProCurves for the most part. I don't know enough about managed switches to know their pros/cons/affordability. Good luck. Mine was setup before my time and hasn't need much of my attention at all.

For unmanaged/basic types, I've used TRENDnet switches. They've been pretty reliable.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    kal#4kal#4 Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cisco 3560 X series PoE. We just installed about 50 of these switches!
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    kal#4 wrote: »
    Cisco 3560 X series PoE. We just installed about 50 of these switches!

Looks like that costs about $5k-$6k, most likely out of the qwertyiop's budget (~$1k).
  • Options
    deth1kdeth1k Member Posts: 312
    Have a look at extreme networks. They make some cheap and reliable switches with IOS like CLI with much higher performance/port per buck than Cisco.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    deth1k wrote: »
    Have a look at extreme networks. They make some cheap and reliable switches with IOS like CLI with much higher performance/port per buck than Cisco.

I'd say for that price range (+- 1k) your best bet would be HP, Dell, or extreme networks. Extreme looks to be the higher of the 3 at $1800+ . I don't have any first hand knowledge of the HP or Extreme, but our Dells have not given us any trouble in the last 5 years we've had them. They are not extremely robust, but you get what you pay for, I guess. Our network is mixed Brocade (Fastiron) and Dell.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    unclericounclerico Member Posts: 237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've got a bunch of Extreme X250e's that you can have if you want icon_biggrin.gif...Barney made a mess when he made those things I tell ya. You just want a plain vanilla switch that is PoE capable, or do you want one with some bells and whistles??
    Preparing for CCIE Written
  • Options
    unclerico wrote: »
    I've got a bunch of Extreme X250e's that you can have if you want icon_biggrin.gif...Barney made a mess when he made those things I tell ya. You just want a plain vanilla switch that is PoE capable, or do you want one with some bells and whistles??

I dont have experience with any experience with Extreme switches though all I really need is a PoE capable switch
  • Options
    The switch will only be used for our VOIP Phones so a gig switch isnt needed.

Does anyone have experience with these Newegg.com - Cisco Small Business SLM248PT-NA Switch SF200-48P 10/100Mbps 48 x RJ45
  • Options
    mbarrambarra Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have used installed several of the non POE versions. They have only been in place for a few months but no complaints. The main reason I went this way was the ability to aggregate ports.
  • Options
    sasprosaspro Member Posts: 114
    The switch will only be used for our VOIP Phones so a gig switch isnt needed.

Does anyone have experience with these Newegg.com - Cisco Small Business SLM248PT-NA Switch SF200-48P 10/100Mbps 48 x RJ45

I installed one of those for a customer recently.

Not bad little switch, the only annoying bit was having to console in to change it to layer 3. Would have been easier if it wasn't installed 20 miles away & they didn't say they wanted layer 3 until it was already installed.
  • Options
    benbuiltpcbenbuiltpc Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Do you need POE for VOIP phones? If that is true then are you running voice and data on the native VLAN? At the very minimum you should have a quality Pro Curve. They aren't necessarily cheap but they will deliver and they have lifetime warranty. I would stay away from Cisco small business, netgear, dlink, etc.

Understand that it will be nearly $1,800 for a 24 port, gigabit, managed, HP pro curve. You will need two based on your seat count. You could get one 48 port for roughly the same (perhaps a little more) price as 2x 24 port switches.
  • Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions, im taking some of these ideas to the president of my company tomorrow