Options

Hard Drive pricing

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm sure a lot of you have seen that hard drives are very expensive right now. A lot of people probably already know that there has been very bad flooding which has caused a few plants in Japan to close down.

I hope they can get them operational again soon! I really need a 1TB hdd!
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Yup, my fav drive is over double the price it was just nine months ago. I wonder if some of the "shortages" causing the price jumps are artificial and only blamed on the disaster. The price of hard drives and RAM has been way too good for way too long.
  • Options
    wilsonianwilsonian Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I thought the floods were in Thailand not japan?

Hard disk famine shaping up as predicted after floods ? Channel Register

Also while it is bad that our HD prices have gone we also have to remember all the people out there struggling. I'm sure about 10 years ago they had an earthquake or summat and memory prices went through the roof - like £150 for 128mb pc133 - dam those were the days... :)
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Try a local big box store, eBay or Craigslist. I've heard you may be able to score a better price at those (for once.) And keep an eye on sites like slickdeals. :\

Oddly enough, the prices of my server's HP SAS 15k rpm drives are still about the same from my vendor as they were a few months ago.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just looked on Newegg, holy crap! Thanks for letting us know.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    wilsonian wrote: »
    I'm sure about 10 years ago they had an earthquake or summat and memory prices went through the roof - like £150 for 128mb pc133 - dam those were the days... :)
    Both an earthquake in Taiwan in 1999 and the Sumitomo epoxy resin plant fire in Japan in 1993 had major affects on RAM prices because of the loss of manufacturing facilities.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Our global PC supplier informed us some time back that we had to order any PC's/Laptops within one week, after that we will have to wait for 3 months to get our orders!, we have a pricing agreement so they can not raise the prices to compensate for high HDD Prices and so we will have to wait.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    wow !!! @ newegg. a 500gig was about 40 bucks and now at 100!
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    hyperrawr9000hyperrawr9000 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    and i was mad when they were only $50 more expensive than "normal".
  • Options
    sasprosaspro Member Posts: 114
    It's actually cheaper to buy an external drive & take it to bits to get to the drive inside at the moment.
    Supply is increasing at the moment but it's going to be a while before they're cheap again.
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    saspro wrote: »
    It's actually cheaper to buy an external drive & take it to bits to get to the drive inside at the moment.
    Supply is increasing at the moment but it's going to be a while before they're cheap again.

Off hand, do ou know of any with a 7200rmp drive? I like to keep an extra drive on at home for friends/family when theirs go out. I used my spare a couple weeks ago and need to replace it. Most of the external drives I've taken apart only have 5900's.
  • Options
    I was sitting here about 6 months ago looking for a 1TB HDD thinking "If I wait a couple more weeks I can get it for $70!"... Awesome, shouldn't have waited! Curse you earthquakes and tsunamis!!
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Yup, my fav drive is over double the price it was just nine months ago. I wonder if some of the "shortages" causing the price jumps are artificial and only blamed on the disaster. The price of hard drives and RAM has been way too good for way too long.
    That's just a silly price!! The only reason why I started to look for them is because I have some old IDE - 500 gigs that I wanted to move off... in search of a SATA drive, no way am I paying that much! I think I'd rather buy a couple of external HDD enclosures and call it a day.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    I was sitting here about 6 months ago looking for a 1TB HDD thinking "If I wait a couple more weeks I can get it for $70!"... Awesome, shouldn't have waited! Curse you earthquakes and tsunamis!!

These Hitachi 7200 RPM 1 TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" drives were $55 each when I got them last year. I just looked, and the exact same model of drive is now $180!

Taking only a quick look, 3 TB drives are probably the best bang for your buck right now. At $250, that's $83 per TB. The cheapest 1 TB drive on Newegg is $140.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i was looking at getting parts for my 6 year old to build his first system, i came to the realization he wont be doing that this year
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    i was looking at getting parts for my 6 year old to build his first system, i came to the realization he wont be doing that this year

I wish I would have known what a PC was at 6 or 7. Let alone being shown how to build one. You have a very lucky kid!
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We'll I'm glad I didn't wait to get this external hard drive I got 2 months ago
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA