Options

Time To Do Some Serious Cleaning.

djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
I just saw for the first time today as I was browsing the local electronics store the insane Hard Drive prices. I then immediately thought to myself, I need to seriously do some digital cleaning. I have over 10TB of data floating around various Hard Drives and haven't even seen some of the stuff on them in many months. I always just took for granted that I could just buy another 2TB Hard Drive for 70€ and keep on collecting and consuming. Since the budget is really tight now and the prices are insane with no signs of any letting up, I don't think I'll be buying a Hard Drive for quite some time. Any thoughts on this from the fellow TechExams members? Any changes to your digital hoarding habits?
WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed

Comments

• Options
    SouthSeaPirateSouthSeaPirate Member Posts: 173
    I know I dont really have a space issue, its more of being completely disorganized. I know all my movies and TV shows are totally filling up my HTPC drives, but ironically, its the only 100% organized drive I have. I think a lot of people are quite the same way. Usually no reason to delete anything with all that space available.
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    No change to hoarding habits as I have a habit of keeping a few spare hard drives.

Other thing is some of the cloud storage prices aren't to far off hard drive prices.

Or use a web hosting account like dreamhost's unlimited account for a backup
    (look for the special every so often where you can get your first year for US$9.99)
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have 2 internal hard drives, 640GB and 80GB. I only have 150GB of data. I also have a 1TB external drive for backup, I guess it has around 100GB used.

I buy hard copies of all the movies I own, so I guess that helps.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
    One day it's gonna catch up to me that I didn't upload some of my data to the cloud. I have over 100GB just in pictures from Europe! Movies, games and music on the other hand, is one of those things where I enjoy them when their there, but I don't know if I'd miss them if they were gone. So, hence the time to reflect and see how much I really "need".
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am kind of disorganized also. My wife's Mac is setup to sync pictures with iCloud so that helps and I also have her Time Machine external USB setup. I keep procastinating looking for an external picture hosting site. I do sync my My Documents folder to an external USB drive though.
  • Options
    thall860thall860 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Right now I have enough left over in the WHS box to last me a while, but I was really hoping to get another 2TB around black Friday. But now that they have more than doubled in price there goes that idea.
    Had all of my WGU courses but too much to keep up on. I am working at it, will let you know when finished.