Options

Question about MS Project 2010 and MCITP

GoldenKnightGoldenKnight Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
I’m looking to get into a Business Analyst or Project Coordinator/Manager position and I’ve already passed the CAPM and I’m working on Project+ now. I’m also looking into taking one of the MS Project exams as well. In my research I’ve found that Microsoft offers the following:

MCITP: Enterprise Project Management with Microsoft Office Project Server 2007

As you probably already know, the MCITP consists of three exams:

Exam 70-632 - Microsoft Office Project 2007, Managing Projects
Exam 70-633 - Microsoft Office Project Server 2007, Managing Projects
Exam 70-634 - Microsoft Office Project Server 2007, Managing Projects and Programs

But that’s for 2007, and I’m looking at Project 2010. Now, with Project 2010 I am looking at taking exam 70-178 Microsoft Project 2010, Managing Projects. However, this exam does not appear to count as credit toward a MCITP certification, and as far as I can see there is no MCITP for Project 2010, only one for 2007. This is boggling to me.

There are two equivalent Project 2010 exams for their 2007 counterparts, such as:

Exam 70-178 - Microsoft Project 2010, Managing Projects
Exam 70-177 - Microsoft Project Server 2010, Configuring

However there doesn’t appear to be a 2010 version of Managing Projects and Programs. I’m not sure if this is in the process of being developed, or not?

I was really hoping to get a Project certification (MCTS) and then work toward the MCITP. I really don’t want to take the 2007 versions either. So unless I go back and take the 2007 versions of the exams, it looks as though the furthest I can go with Project 2010 is an MCTS, right? If anyone has any experience or knowledge with these exams any info would be helpful right now. Thanks in advance.

Forgive me if I’m posting this in the wrong forum. Mods feel free to move it if I am.
Master of Science - Information Technology, Bachelor of Arts - Information Science, PMP Project Management Professional, CAPM Certified Associate in Project Management, MCP Microsoft Certified Professional, Six Sigma White Belt

Comments

• Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    If I were in your position, I would take the 70-178. That alone is a certification, although not an MCITP. IF MS follows their usual path, they will come out with 2 more tests on Project 2010 that will mirror 2007.If you would like to ask them yourself, email mcphelp@microsoft.com
  • Options
    Hey swild, thanks for the advice. I went ahead and sent my question to that email address.
    Master of Science - Information Technology, Bachelor of Arts - Information Science, PMP Project Management Professional, CAPM Certified Associate in Project Management, MCP Microsoft Certified Professional, Six Sigma White Belt
  • Options
    ivkasivkas Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    GoldenKnight,

Have you received any answer from Microsoft?
    I'm interesting in getting MCITP too, and don't want to take MS Project 2007 exam as the product is now really obsolete (at least for the server version).
  • Options
    Sorry for the delay. I did get an email back from Microsoft, and this is what they told me:
    I regret to inform you, we do not have a certification around MCITP for Project 2010. We would not be able to comment on the release date, as we do not have any communication from Microsoft. However, once the certification is released, it would be updated on the Learning Site of Microsoft. We would request you to please visit the Learning site regularly for an update.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Golden did you ever take one of the exams?

I plan on taking managing projects rather soon. I bailed on Windows 7, just to much effort and not enough time. Especially with family and the MBA.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm set to take 178 tomorrow at 8 am. I complete microwaved my studies for this, but I have a really good grasp of Project Pro 2010. It's a lot more user friendly than 2007. Like Visio in 2010 it went to the Ribbon interface. I love it.
  • Options
    vrhunskivrhunski Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I will be CAPM certified very soon :) I hope by end of this month.
    After that MS Project 2010