Options

Server 2003 RIS Questions

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi guys dabbling with RIS at the moment have a few questions for the gurus :)

Firstly when setting up RIS you only get a option to use one install image and create a directory for the install files, Well this is a snag because I need the clients to be able to access both XP home and Pro and a variety of images so is there a way around this or am I being a numpty here.

On to the next obstacle so I fired up my shiny new RIS server and connect a Tosh Laptop to it all went well DHCP is working and I was given the option to install Windows so I selected Windows XP Pro and off it went but it stalled at the first hurdle and started moaning at me about Windows not having the right NIC driver. So is there anyway to inject drivers into a install config?

Am I right in thinking with a variety of different kit I am going to end up with different images for machines which need different network drivers seems to be more work then I originally expected lol ohwell.

Thanks for you help :)
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    atorvenatorven Member Posts: 319
    Why bother with RIS when you can use WDS?
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Maybe he's studying for the 2003 cert or something?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    GaberGaber Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It would benefit you if you looked in to WDS. In Server 2008R2 you can inject drivers via GUI in to your boot image, which is I believe what you want to be able to do, so you can select your chosen install image. Otherwise if you are limited to Server 2003 you can mount the image and inject via command line.

If you want to inject a driver in to an install image then look in to MDT which is free like RIS and WDS, perhaps someone would be able to confirm you can inject drivers in to an XP install image in MDT as I've only done it in Windows 7.

You'll need a separate image most likely for each different system model due to the HAL in XP.
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi guys I work for a charity we do not have access to such goods as server 2008 or R2 so I have to make the best of what I have is there a easy way to inject a network driver to a install image?

Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    atorvenatorven Member Posts: 319
    ally_uk wrote: »
    Hi guys I work for a charity we do not have access to such goods as server 2008 or R2 so I have to make the best of what I have is there a easy way to inject a network driver to a install image?

WDS is free and can run on 2003 - You will also need to install the Windows Automated Installation Kit which includes DISM, which in turn will allow you to inject drivers into your image.