Options

New to WGU: What Certs should I take before entering?

mjnincmjninc Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

If this is not in the correct place, please let me know. I intend to get a BS IT at WGU. I have no current certifications. My goal is to finish my degree as cheap as possible.

I already have the books for MCITP EA, but I haven't taken any tests yet. It looks like that cert will cover 8 classes, if my research is accurate.

Will the MCITP EA apply toward the BS IT?
Which certifications should I take before I enroll at WGU?

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• Options
    wrwarwickwrwarwick Member Posts: 104
    mjninc wrote: »
    Hello,

If this is not in the correct place, please let me know. I intend to get a BS IT at WGU. I have no current certifications. My goal is to finish my degree as cheap as possible.

I already have the books for MCITP EA, but I haven't taken any tests yet. It looks like that cert will cover 8 classes, if my research is accurate.

Will the MCITP EA apply toward the BS IT?
    Which certifications should I take before I enroll at WGU?

Thank you for your help.

Why not just take them during school? You get 6 month terms at roughly $2200 a term, and if you finish the required classes during the term you can add on more courses at no additional cost. The test fees are included in your tuition so the cheaper route would probably be to enroll in school and try to do as much as you can handle per term.
  • Options
    Based on my level of knowledge and time available, I think I could only do all 5 tests in a 6 month period. My calculations led me to believe that it would only cost me right above $1000 to get all 5 tests completed, including test prep software.

Also, I thought tuition was $2800 per term. So, it seems like it will save me roughly $1800 if I do this particular set of certs before entering WGU. I was hoping to find similar savings by taking the max amount of certs I can before enrolling.

If this doesn't seem right, please let me know.

Thank you for your reply.
  • Options
    Based on my level of knowledge and time available, I think I could only do all 5 tests in a 6 month period. My calculations led me to believe that it would only cost me right above $1000 to get all 5 tests completed, including test prep software.

Also, I thought tuition was $2800 per term. So, it seems like it will save me roughly $1800 if I do this particular set of certs before entering WGU. I was hoping to find similar savings by taking the max amount of certs I can before enrolling.

If this doesn't seem right, please let me know.

Thank you for your reply.

You're right about $2800, sorry about that. If you think you can get them that quickly, go for it. But, as a lot of people probably have seen, life will happen, and you might not finish as quickly as you think.
  • Options
    That is a good point. That's my goal though. If I miss it by a month or two, so be it, I hit my goal. :) That's why I didn't want to enroll just yet, I would like to have my certs done 1st to save money.

Is it correct that I can get my MCITP EA, A+, Net+, Proj+ and Sec+ and they all apply to BS in IT?

Sounds like a year's worth of certs.

Thank you!
  • Options
    That is a good point. That's my goal though. If I miss it by a month or two, so be it, I hit my goal. :) That's why I didn't want to enroll just yet, I would like to have my certs done 1st to save money.

Is it correct that I can get my MCITP EA, A+, Net+, Proj+ and Sec+ and they all apply to BS in IT?

Sounds like a year's worth of certs.

Thank you!

I believe those certs are part of the Network Design/Mgmt emphasis. I graduated from the Security program, which was CCNA/CCNA:S instead of MCITP:EA, but had all the other certs listed. There are also some CIW certs required.

It is worth noting that WGU can and has changed the programs at any point, so there is a possibility that some certs you get might not be applicable when you enroll. Of course the certs will still be valid, just something to think about (not that it will happen, just a possibility).
  • Options
    That's a great point to consider. I appreciate the insight. Will your degree say Network Design/Mgmt, or will all of the IT degrees say IT?

Thanks again for your help and insight.
  • Options
    That's a great point to consider. I appreciate the insight. Will your degree say Network Design/Mgmt, or will all of the IT degrees say IT?

Thanks again for your help and insight.

The degree is a BS, IT, Security Emphasis, for example. It's technically still a generic IT degree with a focus on your emphasis, but not a full blown security degree.
  • Options
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    I considered trying to get my MCITP:EA before enrolling in WGU, but the reality of it is, they pay for all the tests - with one free retake should you fail, and all your study material - ebooks of the MS Press books, access to LabSim, and I think uCertify. Even if I could've shaved a term off by doing it myself, I'd probably not be much, if any further ahead financially. Doing it through WGU added value to it for me.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi