Options

Question About VMWare GO And Hypervisor

Dustin.ciscoDustin.cisco Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello!

So i'm getting my feet wet in Virtualization and testing out VMWare GO with the free ESXI Hypervisor.
I'm currently testing the hypverisor a few VM's on a desktop (lol) and just recently purchased a actual server for virtualization but would still like to use VMWare GO till i feel comfortable enough (becoming certified) to move into the full Vsphere Product.

My Question is; how can I use VMWare GO to migrate the Hypervisor from the Desktop to the new Server? I'm assuming this would normally be done with VCenter but i would have to purchase that =P

Comments

• Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Haven't used GO, but ESXi is very easy to install. Just drop the CD/DVD or mount the ISO and install.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    Not worried about reinstalling ESXI it's just i wish to migrate it over because it contains some VM's. It wouldn't be a hassle to just reinstall the ESXI ands VM's fresh on the new server it would just be easier on me to migrate if possible.
    Hello!

So i'm getting my feet wet in Virtualization and testing out VMWare GO with the free ESXI Hypervisor.
    I'm currently testing the hypverisor a few VM's on a desktop (lol) and just recently purchased a actual server for virtualization but would still like to use VMWare GO till i feel comfortable enough (becoming certified) to move into the full Vsphere Product.

My Question is; how can I use VMWare GO to migrate the Hypervisor from the Desktop to the new Server? I'm assuming this would normally be done with VCenter but i would have to purchase that =P
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    There's a fully functional 60 day trial for vCenter available. vCenter requires a 2008 R2 server to run on though.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not worried about reinstalling ESXI it's just i wish to migrate it over because it contains some VM's. It wouldn't be a hassle to just reinstall the ESXI ands VM's fresh on the new server it would just be easier on me to migrate if possible.

Ah, ok. Don't need to create new VMs on a ESXi host. Just file transfer/ftp the VM folders from old ESXi datastore to new ESXi datastore (assuming no SAN), browse the new ESXi datastore, select the .vmdk file, right click join inventory. VMs have to be powered off.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    Everyone wrote: »
    There's a fully functional 60 day trial for vCenter available. vCenter requires a 2008 R2 server to run on though.

Ya this seems to be the route i'm going to have to go with. Hopefully vCenter allows the transfer of ESXI. Haven't really tried that product yet.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Ya this seems to be the route i'm going to have to go with. Hopefully vCenter allows the transfer of ESXI. Haven't really tried that product yet.

Only if you need to do vMotion (i.e. move VMs without downtime)... otherwise you can do as dave330i suggested... power off all your VMs and move them over to the data store on the new server.