New Network+ exam coming in December? N10-005

SouthSeaPirateSouthSeaPirate Member Posts: 173
Ive seen conflicting info all over the place. But most I have found call it out in December. Does anyone know anything official?

Also, should I wait for and take the 2011 or go for the one I have been studying for (2009)? Just a little confused on when an exam expires, no longer available, etc. What are the major differences between the two. Could I continue studying for 2009 using 2009 study material then just study the newly added sections independently; would suffice for a pass on 2011?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• SixRomeoSixRomeo Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well crap. I'm scheduled to take the test on 5 December. I'm hoping it doesn't change between now and then.

I'd rather go ahead and get the cert based on my knowledge now and just study/research any new version info just for my own knowledge. I did notice the 2009 info seems a bit dated so I planned to do that anyway. I'm just too close to test day to be having crap change on me.

I guess I'm good as all my reservation documentation specifically states 2009 version.
  • SouthSeaPirateSouthSeaPirate Member Posts: 173
    Just like the other exams; I dont see them pulling the current one down until about 6 months after its replacement has been released. Your scenario is different. You are ready and scheduled. Im not ready and deff not scheduled. Im hoping to be ready soon after its realease though. In this way Im hopeing my re-cert time is right when the new exams come out. Saavy
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    The new exam will release on Dec 1, 2011.

The retirement date of N10-004 is supposed to be August 2012.

Really nothing to complain about or fear as there is generally plenty of time to take the exam you began studying for.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • SouthSeaPirateSouthSeaPirate Member Posts: 173
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    The new exam will release on Dec 1, 2011.

The retirement date of N10-004 is supposed to be August 2012.

Really nothing to complain about or fear as there is generally plenty of time to take the exam you began studying for.

I would rather take the new one, unles there is a reason not to.

Does anyone know what changes have been made? Whats added, taken out?
  • ChrisRiceChrisRice Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    The new exam will release on Dec 1, 2011.The retirement date of N10-004 is supposed to be August 2012. Really nothing to complain about or fear as there is generally plenty of time to take the exam you began studying for.
    I'm down for doing mine on December 23rd, would I be able to choose which version I sit, or will I be told which version I am sitting?
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    I would rather take the new one, unles there is a reason not to.

Does anyone know what changes have been made? Whats added, taken out?
    The best way to answer this question is to look at the objectives of the two exams (N10-004 and N10-005) which you can get at CompTIA's site: CompTIA Network+ Certification.

There are a lot of simularities with some of the objectives reorgnized (five domains instead of six), and some new content. The OSI model is at the top of the list and the objectives also include the TCP/IP model. Some changes to IPv6 and virtualization topics jump out.

ChrisRice wrote: »
    I'm down for doing mine on December 23rd, would I be able to choose which version I sit, or will I be told which version I am sitting?
    Absolutely. When you schedule the exam specify N10-004 or N10-005. This is the same as the Security+ exam right now where the SY0-201 and SY0-301 exams are both available right now.

HTH,

Darril Gibson
    Security+ blog
    Security+ Tip Of Day
  • ChrisRiceChrisRice Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Absolutely. When you schedule the exam specify N10-004 or N10-005. This is the same as the Security+ exam right now where the SY0-201 and SY0-301 exams are both available right now.

HTH,

Darril Gibson
    That helped thanks :D I asked a few of the trainers which of the two I should do and they said I'm better sitting the 004 because I already have the Sybex book for it and there may not be a book out for the 005 that leaves me enough time to revise properly.