Options

IPS/IDS Labs

DrTechDrTech Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All
Been a while since I've posted anything on techexams.

A quick question regarding labs for IPS, I've completed loads of labs on security covering a wide range of the material, and am pretty familiar with the SDM interface.

Problem is, I'm finding it very difficult and time consuming if not impossible to complete all the lab exams using GNS3 (i.e. I'm finding it near impossible to get a lab setup for IPS/IDS) - do you think it's worthwhile going for the exam even if you have'nt been able to complete the lab program 100%, as I say, I'm ok with the theory and SDM in general, but it's taking a hell of a lot of study time simply trying to get to the starting block with some of the more involved labs.

Comments

• Options
    drumrolfedrumrolfe Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just be familiar with how to set-up and change configurations through the SDM for IDS/IPS.

Download the SDM demo or purchase a capable router for all the experience you need if you aren't comfortable.

Which labs are you following?
  • Options
    DrTechDrTech Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your reply. I think as you say going through basic set up/config ought to be enough for
    the exam - perhaps I've been getting a bit too hung up on following the labs to the letter.

Currently using the cisco press CCNA Security Lab Manual - only lab source I think I'll need really
    as seems pretty comprehensive. I'm about a 3rd of the way through now and most of the stuff so far has been
    doable on GNS3.
  • Options
    wrwarwickwrwarwick Member Posts: 104
    I wouldn't spend too much time on the IDS/IPS labs. Not the biggest topic on the exam as long as you understand all of the topics correctly.
  • Options
    wilsonianwilsonian Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just a word of advice. A true IPS (rather than a software unit on a router) uses IDM not SDM and this is what they use in the exam.