Options

Staples Resident Technician

4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
I recently had my final interview for a resident tech position at Staples. The hiring process has been very... unique. First I had the online personality test that was part of the application. Then there was another personality test with the store manager. After that I had to take a test somewhat like the A+. Finally, today I had the interview. I believe I did well. The part I screwed up on was the sales role playing. But he said they would work with me and provide training in that subject. They want to hire me on as a resident tech for a few months, and then make me an onsite tech. Anyway, my question is: Would this be a good entry level job to introduce me into the IT field? I know it will mainly be malware removal, reloads, etc... basic bench tech stuff. But would this be a good entry level job? I currently work in Electronics at Wal**** and the lack of professionalism at that place is awful. After 2.5 years I cannot stand it any longer.
Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

Comments

• Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It sounds like a step in the right direction.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    ImTheKingImTheKing Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    All experience is good experience in my book. If you don't like your current job and already got the ball rolling at Staples, you might as well jump in and work there for a while. It certainly can't hurt.

By the way, if you don't mind me asking, how long did it take them to first contact you after you applied? A friend who just graduated with me was applying for the ERT position at our local Staples as well.
  • Options
    4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    I received a call 8 days after I applied, and met with the GM the next day.
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    Sounds great. And you will probably love it for the fact that you are actually going to be doing more hands on IT work!
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I would personally shoot higher given your credentials, as this will endup being more sales than IT. But it beats Walmart I guess.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    SteveLord wrote: »
    I would personally shoot higher given your credentials, as this will endup being more sales than IT. But it beats Walmart I guess.

I second this. You seem to be qualified for greater things. However, in the meantime maybe take it and look elsewhere, an "onsite technician" title could never hurt.
  • Options
    SouthSeaPirateSouthSeaPirate Member Posts: 173
    SteveLord wrote: »

X3, Your credentials is above this. Did you get any calls from more... prestigious positions? I say if nothing else, get into Staples. It can at least be a stepping stone in experience just below the normal Helpdesk/Desktop support stepping stone.

If I were looking to possibly hire you for a helpdesk position, I would much rather see actual troubleshooting experience than stocker/cashier experience. But I still think you can get there without Staples. Like the others, your credentials caught my eye. If you cant do better than Staples, take it anyway. With the scenario above, partnered with your certs, Id say you would have no problem getting into a Helpdesk.
  • Options
    Timber WolfTimber Wolf Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I worked at staples for a few months. All i ever ended up doing was sales. Never got a chance to work on a pc. We had just got a new GM when they had hired me and she of the extremely pushy sales type who didnt think my sales method was good enough even though it worked find. She actually almost lost a few sales for me with her pushyness. I dont even bother listing it on my resume.
    WGU BS IT - Security
    Need to complete: CSV1 BOV1 RIT1 BNC1 KET1 TPV1 MGC1 CJV1 KFT1 CNV1 SBT1 RGT1
    Completed: CUV1 CTV1
    Transferred: CVV1 DJV1 IWT1 IWC1 BVC1 QLT1 DHV1 HHT1 GAC1 DFV1 INT1 INC1 CPV1 AXV1 QBT1 LUT1 LAE1 CLC1 BBC1 AGC1 WFV1 CQV1 COV1