Options

SAP Certified

Brain_PowerBrain_Power Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 163
What is your opinion of SAP certification for information technology?

Technology Architect

System Administration

https://training.sap.com/us/en/search?FocusAreaId=3&TabId=certification

Comments

• Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    If the organisation that you work for/support uses it, I would guess that it would be worth it. If not (like the organisation that I work for and the organisations I support) then my opinion is that I don't need it so it's not relevant.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What is your opinion of SAP certification for information technology?

Technology Architect

System Administration

Is the company paying for you to attend? Are you in an SAP ERP shop? Are you in a role where you support or work within an SAP module/modules?

These training course can cost 500-5,000 and lead to just one certification. The way it works with SAP usually is that you are brought in and perform the work and once the company sees a knowledge gap or potential in you they send you off to that particular SAP training. Most people who get their break are usually in manufacturing or finance and have a great deal of knowledge on the business side. A few of my friends have bachelors and masters in finance and or accounting along with ~10+ years of corporate experience. Auditing, Tax, Costing, etc. These guys and gals also have SAP knowledge in the R3 modules. Same goes on the supply chain side and material management. ABAP programmers and BASIS admins are a whole different story. Most of those guys and gals have years and years of database knowledge and/or COBOL programming knowledge and have serious project management experience. ***ABAP is a 4th iteration of COBOL. I know for a fact that the ABAP programmers from my former company where paid over 200 an hour.

I tried for 3 years to crack that nut and it's just extremely tough to do. If you want in you will need to bring value to the business in the form of what I previously mentioned.

Of course this is just my opinion.

Per SAP "To ensure success, SAP recommends combining education courses and hands-on experience to prepare for your certification exam as questions will test your ability to apply the knowledge you have gained in training".