~~ Promoted! Finally! ~~

I was worried for the longest that I wasn't going to want to keep my job once the last manager left for greener pastures. I was so caught up in: Ill have to take up the managers position and my current one until they found someone else. Which I have seen before in many other positions where someone was taken advantage of and then hire someone they would have to train (usually months later).

Once the manager left they said I would have an interim position (seems like the classic scenario). I didn't think to much of it but I did give it hell! As I still have to keep my job...

Once the interim began, I put all that thought to the back of my mind, and just acted as if I was the manager. I kept at it and did everything I could, projects, improvements, acted the part, etc...Then a little while back I was told I could hire someone. Very strange being on the other side of the interview! Anyway, that gave me what I would say, more motivation, or at least hope. Then at day 171 of my 90 day interim, I decided to actually start asking of the 'progress' for getting me that position (officially and yes I know that was a long time, I've just been that damned busy). Then today I get told that, 'Yes, your official title is IT Manager. You have been given another raise, and it's been retro'ed for two weeks. You deserve it.' I actually had to hold back some enthusiasm when in front of the HR manager.

Not too bad for someone two years into his career and only holding an A+. That being said; to all you other fools out there getting discouraged, 'keep giving it hell'! Keep trying, don't give up! Work hard, learn hard, do your best, and one day you'll get your break!

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Damn man you've done very well for yourself, Congratulations!!

Another fine example of hard work and due diligence paying off dividends. Keep up the good work.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Dude, seriously? No dance? Last time I got promoted i pulled one of these:

1tumblr_lgp6q5NhE21qcjtu8o1_500.gif

Congrats! icon_smile.gif
  • drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    gratz man
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Brain_PowerBrain_Power Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 163

Yes, your official title is IT Manager.

Congrats Bro! How much did your paycheck increase?
  • pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats man, well done, have a great weekend!!!
    God deserves my best
  • MiskiMiski Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! icon_cheers.gif

Go get drunk, it's a Friday ;)
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Miski wrote: »
    Congratulations! icon_cheers.gif

Go get drunk, it's a Friday ;)

You're some hours ahead of us mate icon_cheers.gif
  • MiskiMiski Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    lsud00d wrote: »
    You're some hours ahead of us mate icon_cheers.gif

Interesting ... so is it a Thursday for you?

Thursday's are also a acceptable day to get drunk icon_lol.gif
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Miski wrote: »
    Interesting ... so is it a Thursday for you?

Thursday's are also a acceptable day to get drunk icon_lol.gif

Nah man, it's Friday morning!
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz and best of luck!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • SouthSeaPirateSouthSeaPirate Member Posts: 173
    Thanks everyone! I do plan to forget my name sometime this weekend!

As for the pay increase, Im not sure. I was told the amount (yearly). After looking at my check today, it doesnt seem to calulate out correctly. Unfortunately the retro and this weeks pay is on the same line, so I cant exactly directly calulate it out. But I took out the difference for the two weeks retro (using the differnce in the raise), it then places it much lower than I was told. Maybe bad math, or my pay was overstated. Not too sure.
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    'keep giving it hell'!
    I believe a great philosopher said "what does it matter to you? When you got a job to do, you've got to do it well; you've got to give the other fella hell."

In all seriousness, great job, and you have exactly the right attitude. Even if you get stuck in the wrong organization or the wrong position, it's hard not to succeed with that perspective.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
    ptilsen wrote: »
    I believe a great philosopher said "what does it matter to you? When you got a job to do, you've got to do it well; you've got to give the other fella hell."

In all seriousness, great job, and you have exactly the right attitude. Even if you get stuck in the wrong organization or the wrong position, it's hard not to succeed with that perspective.

Thank you sir! Like any organization; it has its ups and downs, pros and cons. But I say make the best of it; why not? I suppose thats why I succeed.

As for my pay; I did find out that it was incorrect. They had added a specific amount to what I was already making. They thought I was making more... I was told it will be fixed and still paid the difference that should have been on last weeks check (and retro). Glad its going to get taken care of!
  • LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats, and thank you SouthSeaPirate. I'm sure you just reminded me and some others of an attitude they once had that got them very far, but was lost due to getting ground up in the everyday B.S. of corporate politics. Thanks for the reminder that what we do can and does matter, and that we are not always just a number...
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
    LinuxRacr wrote: »
    Congrats, and thank you SouthSeaPirate. I'm sure you just reminded me and some others of an attitude they once had that got them very far, but was lost due to getting ground up in the everyday B.S. of corporate politics. Thanks for the reminder that what we do can and does matter, and that we are not always just a number...

Welcome! I like to share and try to motivate all those that I can! I have been there and been depressed when I, like many others, got a taste of what IT is really like and how hard it is to get into.

Even more great news today!!!

Today we had our employee appreciation meeting for ALL employees. Basically when they hand out the yearly awards and bonuses. We made Department of the year and I made Manager of the year!!!! I wasn't expecting to get up and say anything at all in front of all those employees. Lets just say I was soooo nervous and about a wreck by the third time I had to get up there. ESH! Oh and bonus was nice too!
  • DeepEmissionsDeepEmissions Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    THAT'S MY BOSS! I am the "new Hire" as stated in SouthSea's original post, and I must say I was so honored to be a part of these group of fellas who always are as nice and as helpful as they can be, given the sometimes frantic phone calls we get, as they won Department of the Year. I'm proud to be in this IT Department and I know my boss will have my back and keep me on track to be as good as he is one day. OI!