Options

Got a Job Offer!

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
So as everyone knows I had a whirlwind day of interviews (technically two days, but it bled into one). To recap, I interviewed for a forensics position, a NOC position, and a desk side support position. The forensic position was in NYC and after the in person interview I never heard back. The NOC position was with Verizon Wireless and I was offered the position, but declined. Now to the final position, it is desk side support with my college. I actually interview for the position a year ago and then never heard back. Out of the blue they called my house and asked if I was still interested. Not wanting to pass up the chance and figuring I had nothing to lose I did the phone interview. About a week later I get a call to come in for an in person interview. I interviewed with the same techs I had previously and basically it was a 20 minute bs session (I assume they wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy haha). I hadn't heard anything for a week and then I got the email saying they wanted me to meet with the VP of Information Systems. We went back and fourth trying to setup a day, but his schedule was crazy (plus with the holidays it is never easy).

Today (after not going to sleep and having to deal with one of my tires) I came home and the phone rang. It was my college so I picked up, spoke with the HR person and she said they were going to by-pass the next interview, thus offering me the position! Lot's of great benefits, but I will be off the night shift....

Start Jan 3rd
21.00 an hour, plus profit sharing ($3860 a year) - the weird thing is I told her I wanted to review my finances prior to giving the full acceptance of the offer and she said that was fine but total comp would be $46000 a year. I still can't figure out where she got that number from...
Free education up to and including the PhD (any graduate level courses have to be placed on your taxes)
Free health benefits (mine are currently free, but these are vastly better)
Free gym membership
10 vacation days
2 personal days
6.7 hours of sick time a month
8 to 5:30 for two months, then I would move to 10 am to 7 pm
Overtime is possible, but would have to be preapproved

Now my only fear was that since it was hourly, in the event the school closed (weather related closing never happen at my school) or holidays I would not get paid. But she told me that during closures (be it weather or holiday) I would still be paid for 40 hours. I am 95% sure I am going to take it and they want my answer by Monday. The Jan 3rd start date is perfect because I can give a lot of notice to my current employer. Very excited to start a new chapter and perhaps pursue another degree (or two!).
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That sounds great Grinch! Congrats!
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
  • Options
    hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    Congrats on the new job!

The free education and other perks are nice.
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats! Let us know what its like once you start. Definitely a great start to the new year!
  • Options
    ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
    congrats! Sounds like a great thing! :)
  • Options
    sieffsieff Member Posts: 276
    Congrats!!!1.
    "The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." from the poem: The Ladder of St. Augustine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • Options
    cvuong1984cvuong1984 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    sieff wrote: »
    Congrats!!!1.

Missing amount could come from Weekend Differential, most NOC employees have to work 1 weekend day (usually) and some NOCs provide a 10-15% differential for working weekends.
    X
  • Options
    SouthSeaPirateSouthSeaPirate Member Posts: 173
    Congrats! Sure you deserve it! That's some insane cheese for Deskside Support too!
    As for the number, she may have messed up the math. It actually happened to me today, for the same amount, with just bout the same difference. Weird...
  • Options
    ThxlbxThxlbx Member Posts: 105
    Congrats!
    WGU B.S.IT - Security
    Currently Enrolled:
    LET1, INC1, INT1
    Courses Completed:
    EWB2, TEV1, TTV1, CLC1, TSV1,WFV1,ORC1
    Courses Transferred:
    BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LVT1, QLC1, SSC1, SST1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses needed:

BGV1, AKV1, GTT1, MGC1, WDV1, TPV1, GUT1, ABV1, TWA1, CPW4, BLV1
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks everyone, definitely will keep everyone updated! My mother asked what I might go back to school for and I said perhaps Philosophy. Her reply was "what can you do with that?" My only reply was does it matter? LOL. Thanks again guys!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff