Options

Passed syo-201 today........but

mrvl13mrvl13 Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
I used this forum to get information about what to expect in the questions. I read Darryl's book front to back, also used SimulatorExams for extra material. even though i passed with 798. I was not happy with the fact i was only asked about 5 question about cryptography, 3 questions about tunneling protocol and maybe 2 question about well known ports. All of which I knew like the back of my hand . Darryl's book was an excellent source as expected but, it seemed that I was able to pass based on knowledge gained from previous years about the material.

Comments

• Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congratulations on the pass.

This reminds me of a student coming back after the exam and mentioning something similar. He had studied cryptography inside and out and could quote details about many of the protocols such as how many bits each protocol supported and much more. He complained that he wasn't asked a single question on cryptography. As we talked further, I asked about CIA (Confidentiality, Integrity, and Availability). He mentioned that he had several questions asked in different ways on how confidentiality was enforced with encryption, how integrity was enforced with hashing, but they didn't go in depth. He considered those so basic since they were stressed within the class (and in the book), that he completely overlooked these as cryptography questions. Not sure if that happened to you or not, but a pass is certainly something to celebrate. Congrats again.

Best of luck on your next adventure.

Darril Gibson
    Security+ blog
    Security+ Tip Of Day
  • Options
    Yeah, that sounds about right Darril, we must have taken the same test, lol. btw I was wondering what is the difference in SSCP and Sec +, I am strongly considering taking the SSCP and notice your book wont be out until 12/14
  • Options
    mrvl13 wrote: »
    Yeah, that sounds about right Darril, we must have taken the same test, lol. btw I was wondering what is the difference in SSCP and Sec +, I am strongly considering taking the SSCP and notice your book wont be out until 12/14

There are a lot of similarities between the two but the SSCP does have some additional objectives listed in the CIB (https://www.isc2.org/CIB/SSCP-CIB.pdf) that aren't in the Security+ objectives. In short, it is a little more difficult, but if you have the Security+ knowledge, you are very close. I wrote this blog (Changes to (ISC)2 SSCP) that outlines the differences in the SSCP objectives that go into effect Feb 1, 2012 and the book you mention covers the new objectives. Additionally, many of the blog articles on that site apply to both Security+ and SSCP.

Many people use the SSCP as a stepping stone to the CISSP. A progression of Security+, SSCP, and then CISSP builds a solid foundation of security certifications that are well respected by hiring managers, and pursuing the SSCP after Security+ is good preparation for the CISSP which is a monster.

Best of luck,

Darril Gibson
    Security+ blog
    Security+ Tip Of Day
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The test itself doesn't really matter other than for some Resume fluff. The important stuff is that you understand all of that cryptography and tunneling stuff so that you can utilize it in your career. It doesn't really matter whether you were directly tested on it if you know it.

Congrats!
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Darril wrote: »
    Many people use the SSCP as a stepping stone to the CISSP. A progression of Security+, SSCP, and then CISSP builds a solid foundation of security certifications that are well respected by hiring managers, and pursuing the SSCP after Security+ is good preparation for the CISSP which is a monster.

Darril where would you put the CASP in that list of security certifications? I am assuming before or after the SSCP.

BTW to the OP Gratz well done!
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    thanks again Darril, i wil be pursuing this then, also the question asked by another blogger is a very good one...where does the CASP cert. fall into place. By the looks of it, it looks to be between SSCP and CISSP.
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    Darril where would you put the CASP in that list of security certifications? I am assuming before or after the SSCP.

BTW to the OP Gratz well done!

Yes, that's where I'd put it. I did write an article about it here (CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP)) and wrote some CASP practice test questions for it here (CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP) Practice Questions).

Comparing each of these, I see the order of difficulty as Security+, SSCP, CASP, CISSP.

Darril Gibson
    Security+ blog
    Security+ Tip Of Day
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Darril wrote: »
    Yes, that's where I'd put it. I did write an article about it here (CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP)) and wrote some CASP practice test questions for it here (CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP) Practice Questions).

Comparing each of these, I see the order of difficulty as Security+, SSCP, CASP, CISSP.

Darril Gibson
    Security+ blog
    Security+ Tip Of Day

Thanks for the quick reply and detailed information.