Half duplex vs full

alliasneoalliasneo Member Posts: 186
Ive read that a half duplex configuration will result in the Ethernet sharing the collision domain on that segment. Why is this? I thought if it was half duplex then only one would send at a time and collisions would be avoided?

It makes more sense to me if it was full duplex then signals are going back and fourth simultaneously and collisions would be more likely?

Comments

• jude56gjude56g Member Posts: 107 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Setting an interface to full duplex disables the CSMA/CD logic.

This may shed some light. Troubleshooting Ethernet Collisions - Cisco Systems

Also, the switching & bridging section sums this up nicely. Ethernet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HTH
  • thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
    alliasneo wrote: »
    Ive read that a half duplex configuration will result in the Ethernet sharing the collision domain on that segment. Why is this? I thought if it was half duplex then only one would send at a time and collisions would be avoided?

It makes more sense to me if it was full duplex then signals are going back and fourth simultaneously and collisions would be more likely?

But. You ignored a significant thing. In full duplex, different set of wires in the cable are used, however, in half duplex, it is performed by
    same set of wires therefore data stream from one end collides with the one coming from other end.
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)