Options

First Day in IT

wargamer6wargamer6 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just got back from work. It was a good first day; they're setting up my email account tomorrow. All I did today was unbox an HP server, install a 2nd hard drive and install Windows Server 2008 R2 and demo it. They currently have Novel but are going with Windows in the spring.

Comments

• Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sweet, looking at your previous thread, I would think your start date is December 15th. A lot more down and dirty than my whole first month combine here. This is my first IT job too. I've been here on this helpdesk going on 6 months now come December 6th.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    SouthSeaPirateSouthSeaPirate Member Posts: 173
    wargamer6 wrote: »
    I just got back from work. It was a good first day; they're setting up my email account tomorrow. All I did today was unbox an HP server, install a 2nd hard drive and install Windows Server 2008 R2 and demo it. They currently have Novel but are going with Windows in the spring.

That Windows migration will be some great experience! Good luck!
  • Options
    wargamer6wargamer6 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    Sweet, looking at your previous thread, I would think your start date is December 15th. A lot more down and dirty than my whole first month combine here. This is my first IT job too. I've been here on this helpdesk going on 6 months now come December 6th.

This position isn't really "help deskish". I am going to be doing Desktop Support things but will be going on site. I'm only able to be there today and tomorrow as the school's closed for the holiday & PT conferences as my background check isn't finished yet.

I'm trying to find the best server 2008 reference book that I can.
  • Options
    CiscoKiddCiscoKidd Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome to the IT world...I hope you enjoy it icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    wargamer6 wrote: »
    This position isn't really "help deskish". I am going to be doing Desktop Support things but will be going on site. I'm only able to be there today and tomorrow as the school's closed for the holiday & PT conferences as my background check isn't finished yet.

I'm trying to find the best server 2008 reference book that I can.

I hear lots of good thing about Windows 2008 R2 Unleashed.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    ShanmanShanman Member Posts: 223
    Congrats on the job. Good luck and welcome to the IT world!