Options

Western Governors University and certification question?

frank29frank29 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I did my research about WGU and i really want to join and start classes right away.

I want to earn my degree in Networks Design and Management and i also have some certifications that can be tranferred.

I have A+, NET+, SECURITY +,CCNA, TS:windows 7 configuring.

can anyone tell me what assessments these certifications cover so that i dont have to take them.
and is it a good adea to ake more certification before applying at WGU.

thank you.

CourseCourse of Study/AssessmentsCompetency Units

WFV1
IT Fundamentals I

AGC1
Foundations of College Mathematics

BBC1
Communications Foundations

CLC1
Reasoning and Problem Solving

LAE1
Language and Communication: Essay

LUT1
Language and Communication: Presentation

QBT1
Language and Communication: Research

AXV1
IT Fundamentals II

CPV1
IT Fundamentals III

INC1
Integrated Natural Sciences

INT1
Integrated Natural Sciences Applications

DFV1
Web Development Fundamentals

CUV1
Web Technologies

BOV1
Web Programming

GAC1
Finite Mathematics

HHT1
Finite Mathematics Applications

DHV1
Windows OS Fundamentals

CSV1
Operating Systems

CWV1
Network Fundamentals

CRV1
Networks

QLT1
Quantitative Literacy: Quantitative Problem Solving and Applications

DEV1
Security Fundamentals

CTV1
Security

BVC1
Geography

BNC1
Organizational Behavior and Leadership

IWC1
Literature, Arts and the Humanities

IWT1
Literature, Arts and the Humanities: Analysis and Interpretation

TPV1
Project Management

AHV1
Directory Services

AIV1
Network Design and Management

BHV1
Configuring Applications Infrastructure

BIVI
Enterprise Administration

SBT1
Technical Writing

RCT1
IT - Network Design and Management Capstone Written Project

Comments

• Options
    bryanthetechiebryanthetechie Member Posts: 172
    You can download the pdf from the WGU main website and it will explain which certs correspond to which classes. They just changed the requirements for the BSIT programs, and most of us are under the old requirements. The program guide pdfs are available at each program description page.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You can download the pdf from the WGU main website and it will explain which certs correspond to which classes. They just changed the requirements for the BSIT programs, and most of us are under the old requirements. The program guide pdfs are available at each program description page.

From the looks of it, the OP has already seen the new program guide (the credits for Capstone/Tech Writing are the new values). (If you want credit for the CCNA, you might want to look into another emphasis that offers CCNA...this way you can maximize your time in.)

OP, as long as your certs were earned within 5 years, every cert you have will transfer over to the proper domain. (It's in the program guide as to which classes transfer to where.)
  • Options
    Thanks. I went to the website and downloaded the pdf and i count 19 cu for my certifications.Now I am going to apply. Thank you again.
  • Options
    how long is the process of admission?
    lets say that i want to start in january, how long before i have to apply?
    and if i want to get financial aid i have to apply for financial aid before or after the admission process.?

thank you for any help and happy thanks giving.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    frank29 wrote: »
    how long is the process of admission?
    lets say that i want to start in january, how long before i have to apply?
    and if i want to get financial aid i have to apply for financial aid before or after the admission process.?

thank you for any help and happy thanks giving.

You will need to have all your transcripts sent to WGU by December 18th to be reviewed. The earlier, the better though, due to holidays.

FA can take some time, especially if you get hit with verification, as I did. I would scan all your tax records to be ready to email, just in case. I did that and was able to email the required paperwork back within a few hours. Fill out the FAFSA right away. It can take a few days for WGU to receive the results. Fill out any scholarship apps, too. WGU scholarship committee meets every 2 weeks to decide on who will be awarded scholarships.

I initially asked for info regarding the program on October 8th and was cleared to begin my program on November 8th. Your Enrollment counselor will send you checklists you can use, too.
  • Options
    I also heard that i can speed up my degree taking clep or dantes exams.
    Is that true?
    What exams can i take?
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    I applied Aug 10th and will hopefully start Jan 1. Hopefully it goes smoother for you. I was told that I have to have all certs in be the 10th in order to get transfer credit.

To the OP, I would look at the security emphasis. It will give you credit for the ccna. If you wanted to squeeze in one more cert, I would go for Project+. That what I am trying to do.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    if you have a CCNA you should look into the IT Security degree
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    Yes i have the ccna, but why into security, is it better than the network design and management.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yes i have the ccna, but why into security, is it better than the network design and management.

I'd choose what you are interested in.
  • Options

Well, in your case it doesn't matter. The CCNA will take place of Network+ (or rather it should). But I think the reason you'd want to go into security is because it maximizes your CCNA.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter what emphasis you choose. You will still get the same IT major as someone who just did the general IT degree.
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    swild wrote: »
    To the OP, I would look at the security emphasis. It will give you credit for the ccna. If you wanted to squeeze in one more cert, I would go for Project+. That what I am trying to do.
    Doesn't the Network Admin Degree now have CCNA, so he could do that? With WGU, I have a hard time telling the real underlying differences between most of their IT Degrees. They all seem to blur together and have similar requirements.
  • Options
    Thats because they are all IT degrees with an emphasis. The emphasis doesn't matter, just choose the one that gives you the most credit, unless there is a specific cert you are going for that is included in another track. A BS in IT is the same to most employers as a BS in Comp Sci. Just has to be in the field.
  • Options
    I will go into network administration that will give me a good amount of credits.
    Has anyone taken any clep or dantes exam and then tranfered.
    Can anyone recommend me some clep exams to take.

I am currently studying for college math clep.
    This will hopefully take care of foundation of college math, but what about finite math.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    frank29 wrote:
    I did my research about WGU and i really want to join and start classes right away.
    Good. Internet skills will be highly useful to you, so learn to search for existing threads with similar topics. This would have fit nicely in the WGU Questions thread.
    I will go into network administration that will give me a good amount of credits.
    Has anyone taken any clep or dantes exam and then tranfered.
    Can anyone recommend me some clep exams to take.

I am currently studying for college math clep.
    This will hopefully take care of foundation of college math, but what about finite math.

College Mathematics will probably cover most of it, but there might be some Algebra you'll need outside of that.

And, I know I'm a picky old so-and-so, but this would be a good place to polish your writing so you're in good habits when the time comes to write papers. "clep" should be CLEP, etc.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    Do WGU have any limit on credits or CUs i can tranfer in?
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Since I graduated last year im nolonger in the loop but has anyone heard anything about the new masters in networking program?
  • Options
    As far as what classes you get credit for with those certs, here is what I received for those certs:

A+: AXV1 and CPV1
    Net+: CRV1, CWV1, in network emphasis, not security
    Sec+: CTV1
    CCNA: COV1, CQV1, in security emphasis, not network
    MCTS, Win 7 Config: CSV1,DHV1 (still waiting on my credit for these, so not completely sure)

So it looks like either you will be getting the same amount of transfer credit for your certs regardless of which path you take. You will have to ask about the CLEP.
  • Options
    qwertyiop wrote: »
    Since I graduated last year im nolonger in the loop but has anyone heard anything about the new masters in networking program?

Only MS listed is the IA: Online IT Degree | MS in Information Security and Assurance
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    swild wrote: »

I know about that one since it they released it while I was completing my BSIT in NA.
    The reason I ask about the new masters program is because I've heard a few current students from this and other boards talking about it being released this winter.
  • Options
    Hey. Do you know for each CLEP test how muny courses it will cover.
    Lets say i take the Natural sciences CLEP will it take care of WGU
    Two courses or just one.

INC1 Integrated Natural Sciences

INT1 Integrated Natural Sciences Applications
  • Options
    Can anyone advice me about what CLEP exams or dantes are transferable to WGU .
  • Options
    Can anyone advice me about what CLEP exams or dantes are transferable to WGU .

I believe CLEP has Physics, Chemistry and Biology. Keep in mind that you need a science course with lab to get you out of both INT1 AND INC1. (In my case, I had a chemistry course in college Pre-WGU that didn't have a lab component, so I had to take INT1.)

You can probably look at the collegeboard website and WGU and ascertain which CLEP's will transfer to the General Education requirements. OR....to save time and money, go the www.straighterline.com route.
  • Options
    bryanthetechiebryanthetechie Member Posts: 172
    You can also take DSST (formerly DANTES) exams: Test Preparation | DSST | Get College Credit. These also transfer to WGU. Good luck!
  • Options
    can anybody post here what CLEP or DANTES exams were taken and transfered to WGU.

If anyone have taken any exam like CLEP college math or any other can you post it here and how many crefits you got for those exams.
  • Options
    Wali007Wali007 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi:
    Can anyone suggest if its a good idea to try to take as many certification exams as I can before I start WGU or Should I just take certification exams while I am enrolled in WGU, as the certification cost is covered in the BS IT program as I hear. I have over 7 years of experience in the IT field was going start taking exams for A+, NET+ and CCNA, but then I heard about WGU and thought about just enrolling in program and then take the exams. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    Wali007 wrote: »
    Hi:
    Can anyone suggest if its a good idea to try to take as many certification exams as I can before I start WGU or Should I just take certification exams while I am enrolled in WGU, as the certification cost is covered in the BS IT program as I hear. I have over 7 years of experience in the IT field was going start taking exams for A+, NET+ and CCNA, but then I heard about WGU and thought about just enrolling in program and then take the exams. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

It's pretty much a matter of time vs. money in that regard. FWIW, I only had A+ and Network+ and 22 college credits (out of about ~50) when I started WGU. It took me three 6-month terms to actually finish the NDM program (earning an MCITP:EA). I'm gonna tell you though...the Microsoft and CCNA exams are no joke and you will most likely still have to get study material outside what WGU provides you. I took one MCTS exam four times (the 70-643) before I passed it. While I am very proud that I earned the MCITP:EA, I would have been better served getting either the regular IT degree or the Business:IT degree (that's not part of the College IT most of us TEers are a part of.)

Going to WGU and my participation on this forum helped me fulfill a lifetime goal, which in all honesty would have been difficult to do by myself. It's not to say I didn't do the WGU program by myself, but being surrounded by like-minded individuals was what pushed me to succeed at WGU.

Ultimately, its your choice, but if you can get 30 CUs+ done in a term, it's probably best to go through WGU.