Options

No More TV!

Comments

• Options
    buzzkillbuzzkill Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm in the minority here in that I like TV and recently there's loads of shows that I really enjoy, e.g Dexter, The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Family Guy, The Big Bang Theory, South Park, the list goes on and on.
  • Options
    MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    I find myself getting drawn in to a few shows my other half tends to watch. For the most part I am trying to do away with watching TV and dedicating more time to studying.

We have just recently started reading for a few hours before bed. Seems to be working well, since she can DVR everything she misses....ugh.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    xirtlook wrote: »
    Okay so this Winter I'm going to attempt a new challenge.

I'm going to take my Television out of my bedroom, and attempt to go the entire Winter without Television.

Besides the Occasional Football games, and out to the movie theatre.

my goal is that I want to read more, I want to study more, I want to be more focused.

I want to spend my time more wisely.

has anyone else attempted this? did you go nuts and kill anyone?

lol wish me luck.

I gave what you are mentioning a try. I felt like if I continuously read all day and non-stop studied, I'd not only be less likely to remember stuff but I'd be stressed from the no breaks at all. I study a few hours on off days and in between calls at work on the helpdesk. Especially when its slow at night, I can get a lot of studies in. That way, I can either go home and implement what I studied, or sit back and play some xbox or watch a movie.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    xirtlookxirtlook Member Posts: 124
    my kids have taken over the tv at my house

so i get the computer

so the remedy is to make babies? I'll get lots of studying done then, right?
    nerd power.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    xirtlook wrote: »
    so the remedy is to make babies? I'll get lots of studying done then, right?

yea tons .... in fact i stay at work late to study
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    when I was studying for my CCNA, I sat in the middle of my futon everyday, with the TV directly infront of me on mute.
    I was able to focus with a lil bit of background noise/distraction.

My desk is a corner desk, and cluttered with computers, papers, accessories.

I found the TV to be not only distracting me for studying, but in the mornings, I find myself wasting time looking at weather, and traffic reports.
    Really doesn't matter since I only have one way to work.

I also find it more difficult to fall asleep with the tv on, versus reading a book.

So not only am I removing my TV from the bedroom, I am replacing my broken futon bed (from sitting in the same spot for months), with a real bed.

I am also looking into purchasing a big U-shaped desk so I can hold all my computers/monitors/laptops/books. Feel like a big boy when I'm studying LOL.

I was going to remove my TV this past weekend, but due to my discomfort with a broken bed, I tried to snap/crack my neck to comfort, but infact I did the opposite. Torn something, and pinched a nerve, so needless to say I was in pain, and bored, so I'm glad I didn't remove my TV yet. Got to enjoy a few shows/movies before it gets exiled.
    nerd power.
  • Options
    someuser23someuser23 Member Posts: 103
    I live alone and my light bill each month is under $30 bucks a month.

I have 2 tv's, I don't watch either, I usually watch football at Friday while I drink a beer or 2.

I think TV is a big distraction to getting work done, so is video gaming (xbox live)

However, if you have internet access you basically have TV still if you know what I mean.

I was in the process of buying a xbox since I'm pretty bored at home and I'm single but I'm not going to bother, that's getting back into old unsuccessful habits.

When I'm bored, honestly I go for a drive to a starbucks or go to a plaza for a little walking around.
    Ribs still touching....
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    I'm getting awesome at iCarly and shake it up (nick/disney) haha
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I got rid of my TV last summer (2010), when I realized that I wasn't watching it, and had a cable bill coming in because I watched Sportscenter every now and then.

As others have posted, the news in this country is slanted.

As far as video games, I go back to remembering what a poster on this forum said a while back, that he didn't play video games because he knew they were programmed to allow him a chance to win.

As far as the news, I tend to be critical of it all the time, no matter the source, as I always ask if they offered the other side of the story, or not.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    TV is fun and awesome! what are you guys smoking?! hahaha

1 to 2 hours of study a day is enough for me. Most of the time i do that at work, reviewing PDFs and technologies. Most of the time i try not to burn my life hours on studying technology all day. I try to make it a habit to NOT study every single day. When i do, it will be for an hour, maybe 2 tops. However I will never do it 5 or 7 days out of the week. It isnt worth it anymore, life is precious, i cant wait for my CCNP Security certs to be completed, then i wont have to study anything at home, i will no longer have any cert ambitions. Anything i need to read will be done during work hours, since it is work related.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Does watching old TV programs on Netflix count as TV? I'm spending about two hours a day working my way through all episodes of Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: Deep Space 9.

Yeah, that's kinda like TV, I guess.
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Does watching old TV programs on Netflix count as TV? I'm spending about two hours a day working my way through all episodes of Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: Deep Space 9.

Yeah, that's kinda like TV, I guess.

i have ds9 lunches ... only so much studying i can do aday
  • Options
    I still haven't removed my TV yet, I'm waiting for my 6ft Bean Bag to come in.
    Walmart.com: XL 6' Fuf Comfort Suede Bean Bag, Black Onyx: Kids' & Teen Rooms

I'm completely removing my entertainment center and everything and replacing with a comfy giant bean bag.

this will be my "reading area" LOL!

I'm doing pretty good at not watching TV as it is since I'm staying later at work.
    nerd power.
  • Options
    reading aarea riiiiiiiiiiiight

you building the ultimate pillow fort
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    The best thing I ever did for getting more rest was to forbid a TV in my bedroom.

That - never ever had a TV in my bed room .... but I do need some background noise when I am working on my PC :P
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't watch much TV because I can't really stand sitting there the entire time watching something.

But I do waste a ton of time on video games. Interacting with something keeps me busy so this succeeds in taking my attention away.

When I work on projects on the weekends, my weekend is soo much longer. I wish I had the motivation/ability to constantly do housing projects (maybe have a investment home). But I need motivation from another source to keep me going. I can't ever find that source so a lot of my time is still wasted in games... That's just my personality I guess, I hate it though. I wish I could keep self motivated.

If you have any suggestions where I could do this without a partner then please let me know. :)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Am I the only one that likes having the TV on while studying? -I find that studying while listening/watching a TV series or movie helps me to better associate unrelated parts of a topic with a chronological order. Instead of getting confused and remembering steps out of order I associate them with parts of a movie that builds on itself and has easily remembered ordered events.

I've really just found that distractions can be my friend. Sometimes I drink while studying(the increasing effects form a timeline that I use to relate information to), move around while studying or otherwise make distractions for myself.
  • Options
    ..........sly.gif
    nerd power.
  • Options
    Cpl.KlingerCpl.Klinger Member Posts: 159
    I'm finding myself getting away from TV and games lately, and it's quite interesting to say the least. Maybe it's turning 30 this year that gave the the "You're grown up now" kick I needed. I actually sold/donated my Flight Sim stuff (which in my opinion is a worse gaming habit than WoW) the past two weeks, and I just uninstalled Team Fortress and Steam (no paid games on there). Granted, I still watch movies and have the very rare session on GT5, but it's not a must for me anymore. I'm looking forward to 2012 as time to reinvent things with the upcoming transfer to WGU and I don't want anything to get in the way. I'd like my plans for '12 to include lots of reading, labbing, picture taking and hanging out with the family, not lots of wasted time in front of a game or show.
    "If you can't fix it, you don't own it"
    "Great things have small beginnings."

• Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I cut out gaming (with The Old Republic dropping next week, we'll see how long that lasts...) but I gotta have my TV fixes. Dexter, House, and Sons of Anarchy are requirements to continue breathing!
  • Options
    I cut out gaming (with The Old Republic dropping next week, we'll see how long that lasts...) but I gotta have my TV fixes. Dexter, House, and Sons of Anarchy are requirements to continue breathing!

i dont watch tv really but games are my downfall, love eve online ... sadly i know i need to quit but its hard
  • Options
    fredmoogiefredmoogie Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    if you're given an ultimatum either to stop watching tv or stop going online?

which would you opt, and why?

and no, u cannot watch tv online icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    99% will say they'd give up TV.

As to why...it's a no brainer.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I were given the ultimatum I'd tell the person saying it to get out of my house.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    mmos are harder for me

its like hanging out with the guys on friday night (we have 3 chicks in our group as well)
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    fredmoogie wrote: »
    if you're given an ultimatum either to stop watching tv or stop going online?

which would you opt, and why?

and no, u cannot watch tv online icon_lol.gif

I would give up both if you are about to work for a managed service provider. The hours are long and unsocial. When at home you need to either unwind completely or sit quietly researching something to help you cope with the hundreds of unfamiliar technology situations you will have to adapt to. You can go online to learn that stuff.

Other than that, no TV, no online and no WoW.

Spend quality time with your wife too if she gave you the ultimatum. Women like to spend time with their men out of office hours.
  • Options
    Geek1969Geek1969 Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I recently cut our satellite tv's from 6 down to 4. You'd have thought I took away someone's birthday. We have 3 kids at home and at least 2 tv's are always on. I reserve Sunday's for football and occasionally relax on the couch with the wife for NCIS, but other than that, I'm either on TE, studying or working on the house or vehicles. Wish I could do away with the TV's though. I might get more help then.icon_wink.gif
    WIP:
    ROUTE
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Oh no, god forbid people do something other than work and bury themselves in books all day. icon_rolleyes.gif
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    I haven't owned a tv since 1999, and I don't miss it.

Indeed!

We completely rid ourselves of television for 4 years now...(been so easy it seems longer though).

Best thing we ever did!

Kids don't mind.
    We have more time for EVERYTHING and it has been a great way to shrink unnecessary expenses by not paying for cable or the extra electricty to run the stupid box.

We'll watch videos with a projector for "Movie Night" on Friday evening and occassionaly on weekends play games (but it's been months since the Wii's been plugged in).

I'm confident if you give it a chance (if you were a heavy user of TV) you'll find that you have so much more time, are more relaxed (no stress from scare-tactic news repeats) and can exercise, read, study, spend time with spouse, kids, you alone just being quiet, etc.. Totally love it! Best wishes and welcome to the 'other' side ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Turgon wrote: »
    .... Women like to spend time with their men out of office hours.

ehhh

Something to be said for the spouse having a hobby.
    Certainly, their attention (undivided attention) on occassion is a must for a marriage...but time apart and involved in separate activities has proven useful for us.

YMMV
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
This discussion has been closed.