Options

No More TV!

13»

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Does watching old TV programs on Netflix count as TV? I'm spending about two hours a day working my way through all episodes of Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: Deep Space 9.

Yeah, that's kinda like TV, I guess.

I taped all the old TNG back in the day and have every episode that aired (which according to my list is in fact every episode). I haven't watched them in years (ok, nearly 2 decades, but have moved them all several times) I could, spend the money and get the set on DVD to take up less space I suppose, but I still have them all memorized so watching them is no longer fun. Maybe over Christmas break I'll bust them out for the kids :)

To answer your question, I think I'd consider Netflix similar to 'video' simply because YOU can control when you watch the episode. And on netflix (if you stream it) you can pause the program correct? (no idea) so if you can pause it, it is more 'video' like in that you do not need to complete it all in one sitting. You could leave, do something more important and return.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    ehhh

Something to be said for the spouse having a hobby.
    Certainly, their attention (undivided attention) on occassion is a must for a marriage...but time apart and involved in separate activities has proven useful for us.

YMMV

Your mileage always varies in relationships. Hobbies are fine. Based on personal experience and that of my peers I find balance works best in this regard and it helps if you both have something you like to do alone for spells.
  • Options
    Cpl.KlingerCpl.Klinger Member Posts: 159
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Oh no, god forbid people do something other than work and bury themselves in books all day. icon_rolleyes.gif

I'd think that most here do other things than study and work. I go to wineries with the wife, and am eagerly awaiting the start of the ski season at my sort of-local hill. I catch up on the occasional movie with the family and very occasionally spend an hour on GT5. But TV and gaming don't dominate my life like they used to. If nothing else, I look at how my time is spent with a mind to the return I'm going to get on it. I used to spend 2-3 hours 3-4 days a week on a game. My ROI there: nothing. I now spend that time either with family or with my nose in a book or website learning. My ROI there: plenty, from a -priceless- happy family to earning certs to move ahead. I simply want to use what time I have for the greatest possible benefit, and sitting on my rear in front of the TV or a game for long periods of time like some people do simply does me no good.
    "If you can't fix it, you don't own it"
    "Great things have small beginnings."

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    Netflix now has all of the Star Trek TV series on-demand. And yes, you can pause, skip ahead/back, stop, rewatch, etc. just like you can with a DVD or DVR. You can view a Netflix subscription on a Wii, but 'tis the season to get a Roku box for viewing so much more. All you need is a live Internet connection, and Roku can stream over a wireless router too.
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    I taped all the old TNG back in the day and have every episode that aired (which according to my list is in fact every episode). I haven't watched them in years (ok, nearly 2 decades, but have moved them all several times) I could, spend the money and get the set on DVD to take up less space I suppose, but I still have them all memorized so watching them is no longer fun. Maybe over Christmas break I'll bust them out for the kids :)

To answer your question, I think I'd consider Netflix similar to 'video' simply because YOU can control when you watch the episode. And on netflix (if you stream it) you can pause the program correct? (no idea) so if you can pause it, it is more 'video' like in that you do not need to complete it all in one sitting. You could leave, do something more important and return.
  • Options
    jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I miss charlie sheen. I think Ashton is trying too hard to be funny, it's still a cool show.
  • Options
    xirtlookxirtlook Member Posts: 124
    I bought a rubix cube. my free time will be spent trying to unfold the secret to this headache.
    JDMurray wrote: »
    but 'tis the season to get a Roku box for viewing so much more. All you need is a live Internet connection, and Roku can stream over a wireless router too.

does this only work with concurrent subscriptions?
    nerd power.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    The Roku box itself has no subscription. It is a portal for both free and subscriptions services available in the Roku Channel Store.
  • Options
    xirtlookxirtlook Member Posts: 124
    yeah thats what I figured. any good "free" stuff?
    nerd power.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    crackle on my roku isnt bad

and 80 a year for amazon isnt a bad deal if ya shop on there site alot it got free shipping
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    BoneSpurBoneSpur Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am addicted to COD: BO on the PS3. I usually work 4 10 hr days and have Wednesdays off. I keep my newborn on that day and when she is asleep, I am either studying or gaming. I have a very stressful job and very little free time. It feels good to be able to unwind. I quit drinking 1 year and 4 months ago. That was the best thing I ever did.

My wife now has me addicted to Criminal Minds, she now profiles everybody! LOL!
    All the effort in the world won't matter if you're not inspired. - Chuck Palahniuk
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    crackle on my roku isnt bad

and 80 a year for amazon isnt a bad deal if ya shop on there site alot it got free shipping

Only $79 to start, to renew is only $39.
This discussion has been closed.