Options

SonicWall CSSA

Anyone got this? I've been elected to be the first one in my company to go to this training course and get certified. Not sure how to feel about a 2-day class, I mean useful could 2 days really be? Plus I've never used a SonicWall device so this should be interesting.

Hopefully this doesn't off-balance my QoS studies too much...
My Networking blog
Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS

Comments

• Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yikes. 2-day training camp to get certified in a device you've never touched. Got it. I know nothing about the certification but this seems like a waste of time. View it as a break and don't let it set you off course. I'm not a fan of "going to training."
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    I hear you.. Either the device is going to be exceptionally easy or I am going to be spinning my wheels (Which I doubt I mean the technology of Routing, IPSec, Firewalls are essentially the same across vendor devices). Either way I need to get this certification for my company to acquire their SonicWall partnership status.

I guess your right this will be a nice break, I get to hold-up out of town (not on my dime either) so I guess this won't be all bad.

Now back to QoS labbing... (How sad am I.. I got the next 4 days off work and instead of going out I'm labbing LOL)
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    They are easy to support and set up. It is gui based and there is a online demo that will show you all of what you need to know to get abreast of the interface. You should be fine.
  • Options
    I like your confidence!

As long as the GUI isn't like the SDM icon_smile.gif

(I'll probably look for that online demo when the class-date gets closer just so I can get a better idea of what to expect)
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Personally I think the gui is many many miles better than SDM and maybe a few miles better and CCP and ASDM.
  • Options
    In my opinion:
    SDM = Just plain horrible
    ASDM = Usable only to watch logs and see the graphs on the main page.
    CCP = Unbearably slow. (I only used CCP to see NBAR traffic in a pie chart!)

CLI is just so much quicker for me anything with a GUI has to be slower. I'll be keeping an open mind with SonicWall since it is an entirely different vendor.
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I was set to take the CSSA back in 2007, but I didn't stay with the company that required long enough for them to pay for it, and I didn't really have the interest to keep pursuing it after I had moved on. SonicWall devices aren't difficult to manage, and with your prior networking experience it should be a breeze to learn what you need to pass the exam. Since you've already got your CCNP and CCNA: Security, the primary concern you'll have is "how do I do this the SonicWall way as opposed to the Cisco way?" while you're sitting in on that class.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    We are a Sonicwall partner, but I'm not a huge fan of their equipment. The interface is clunky and a bit of a pain to deal with. I found it wasn't as straight forward as it could/should be. Good luck, they are really a joke compared to the Cisco stuff you are use too, so you will be fine!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    I will save my opinion about SonicWall. I have spent enough time on there Customer Support line just for them to tell me that that is "not an option". I rank SonicWall somewhere between firewall's Watchguard and ZoneAlarm. LOL.

Have a good 2-day vacation!!
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    wrwarwickwrwarwick Member Posts: 104
    I've supported many Sonicwall devices in the past few years, and trust me, you will be absolutely, 100% okay. The GUI is very easy to pick up and use and will be no trouble with your background. And unless they have changed it, the test is open book, so, ummm, yeah, no brainer (although I know of some techs who have failed the open book exam... Shame...)

The test and certification is more of a sales pitch for Sonicwall than an actual networking certification such as a Cisco or Juniper exam. Even with one Sonicwall certified individual, an organization gets tremendous discounts on the gear.

Not sure what your companies business model is mainly, but I have seen tons of Sonicwalls in the SMB market. They are cheaper than Cisco devices, and offer standard features in one appliance that an SMB might want, such as, web filtering, virus protection, etc, along with standard networking features. They are a cheap solution for a small company with a single internet comnection, but I cannot see them being used for much more. Honestly, they are almost a glorified Linksys. Heck, my home Linksys with DD-WRT can probably do almost as much.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    4 of the guys at work have this one, we all get to do it. From what I hear, it is insanely easy to do. Then again you've never touched the device, but if you can navigate the gui, you'll do just fine.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    They are easy to support and set up. It is gui based and there is a online demo that will show you all of what you need to know to get abreast of the interface. You should be fine.
    This.

They do have some more advanced features and you do need to learn to do things the Sonicwall way. The CSSA cert isn't tremendously valuable in and of itself, though any MSP that standardizes on Sonicwall would value it.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    ParsonsJemParsonsJem Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Steve086, if you have not already taken the training and the exam, then i wish you could luck. It is an easy couple of days as long as you understand the concepts and technology behind it.
    I myself have taken this, and it was not difficult at all, the training and exam does only touch on the basic level of stuff and does not go in depth to any of the technology within the devices.
    Only after the training when you actually start playing with one that you can actually see how complex but versatile they are.
    I have set-up quite a few with varying depths of complexity. From single Wan connection with no real frills just locking it down for security, to 3 Wan connections with load balancing, failover and force routing traffic across particular WAN connections.

Good luck with your other studies, i wouldn't lose any sleep over this one.
  • Options
    Yea the class was very basic...... Basic LAN/WAN, with IPSec, then same specific SonicWall features..

Knowing the basics of IPSec, NAT, routing, networking and it's simple...
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dont like sonicwall... bleh.. i had to install that when i just entered in this company.... they stop selling it as fortinet its was a way better... and it is...sonicwall is more for really small companies or companies that does not want to spend too much money...
  • Options
    Yea I think our business model will involve Sonicwall for our small one site networks... just need something cost effective.
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    Took the class last Monday/Tuesday, took the exam a few hours ago.. Passed.. obviously since it's open book. I'd say it covered a good amount of the test was normal IPSec/NAT operation, all the rest was SonicWall specific configurations. (VPN, UTMS, Wireless, etc) If you've worked your way around a GUI a few times it's a no brainer.

Now... back to QoS!!
    My Networking blog