Options

Ouside Global and Outside local are they alway the same

AndreLAndreL Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
I got down that the inside local is Hosts IP address and outside local Hosts routers public ip address (the the inside get translated to and send out) and most of the time (I think) that both outside addresses (global and local) are the same when the you see them form the host pov.

But what scenario would they be different or form who's pov would they not be similar.

Comments

• Options
    jude56gjude56g Member Posts: 107 ■■■□□□□□□□
    AndreL wrote: »
    I got down that the inside local is Hosts IP address and outside local Hosts routers public ip address (the the inside get translated to and send out) and most of the time (I think) that both outside addresses (global and local) are the same when the you see them form the host pov.

But what scenario would they be different or form who's pov would they not be similar.

I have wondered the same thing myself. I have setup NAT in my lab and looking at the translations table, the outside local/global have always been the same. I have not read thoroughly on this topic, but I'm sure someone can answer and provide an example of when they may differ.
  • Options
    MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    When natting, it is all about location and perspective. Inside/Outside would be considered location, Local/Global would be considered perspective. The outside local and outside global addresses appear the same because they are:

Outside Local:
    Remote host address as seen from hosts within the local network.

Outside Global:
    Remote host address as seen from hosts outside the local network.

Thus, hosts either inside or outside the local network see the destination as the same address.