Which book?

UndyUndy Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey Folks,

Anyone have a recommendation/opinion on which book to get and why?

The official Certification Guide or Implementing Cisco IOS Network Security?

Thanks!

Comments

• SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    I used Official Exam Guide to supplement my CCNA:S studies. Although I always recommend reading from multiple sources to prep (whether it be books or material from Cisco.com)

I'd also look into GNS3 to configure SSH, ACLs, IPSec VPNs
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Cisco is weird like that. Both can be used to study for the certification; however, the Implementing guide is going to provide you with background and a little more substantive info than the cert guide. While the cert guide is going to hit all of the wickets/objectives on the test (not to say the implementing guide won't).

Also, last time I checked, the official cert guides usually come with practice tests.
  • UndyUndy Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    I used Official Exam Guide to supplement my CCNA:S studies. Although I always recommend reading from multiple sources to prep (whether it be books or material from Cisco.com)

I'd also look into GNS3 to configure SSH, ACLs, IPSec VPNs

Thanks for the info. I plan on using Cisco's website as a source of information. Funny, if you spend a short period of time searching through Cisco's site, you can get all the info you need.

GNS has been a friend of mine for the past few years. I just finished the CCNP and would like to take on CCNP Security next. Honestly, I wanted to do CCNA Security a while back but SDM is a huge turn off. I just want to study my a$$ of to get through it and back to the command line. :)
    Cisco is weird like that. Both can be used to study for the certification; however, the Implementing guide is going to provide you with background and a little more substantive info than the cert guide. While the cert guide is going to hit all of the wickets/objectives on the test (not to say the implementing guide won't).

Also, last time I checked, the official cert guides usually come with practice tests.

I love it! maybe I should take a look at both. Or start with one and then the other. I guess it is a preference that I just need to go with one and deal. Thanks!
    As far as the CCNP: Security & GNS3, you can't run any new ASA IOS's 8.0.2 I think the latest it will run, the test is based off 8.2 I believe.

Yea SDM is just really terrible. It's EoL (For the last year now) and yet it's still covered on the exam.. go figure. I really don't see why they haven't updated the exam.
    My Networking blog
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Undy wrote: »
    I love it! maybe I should take a look at both. Or start with one and then the other. I guess it is a preference that I just need to go with one and deal. Thanks!

There's actually three different guides for the certification. The two Cisco Press books and the Network Academy booklet. I used the Network Academy booklet to study for the CCNA exam. But the one advantage I wanted to get from using the program, mainly labs curtailed to the curriculum, I didn't bother to use.

But the Implementing is probably the best as far as getting a thorough answer and explanation; however, if you're using your hard earned money, get the cert kit, as it will have the practice questions.

GNS3 can be used to pass the certification exam but you will be missing out on some of the Switch commands.

Good luck on the CCNP Security. It's basically like the CCNP, just an expansion of the topics in the associate level.

And if they refresh the cert, they'll just shove Cisco Configuration Professional down our throat.
    Thanks for all the heads up folks. My question was really about the books. Sometimes people have preferences due to invalid material or how the material is presented. I am lucky to have access to a ton of physical equipment to use for lab for CCNA and CCNP Security. Most was replaced after being in production for a while. My employer will pay for the tests along as I pass, which is nice as well. Time is my weakness. Trying to study with a demanding job, wife, 2 kids, life, etc. CCNP took me 1 1/2 years to complete. I am sure many here are in the same boat.

Some equipment to get me through it all.

4 x 2611xm
    1 x 2950
    2 x 3550
    2 x ASA5510 licensed with IPS modules
    1 x ASA5505
    GNS
    very nice, you should have enough to even lab through your CCNP: Sec
    My Networking blog