Options

AS2511-RJ stopped working

NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
I upgraded the IOS on my AS2511-RJ a few weeks ago. I have been using it for weeks without any problem. Yesterday, I used it the whole day and then I turned it off on the afternoon to save electricity. I turned it back on at night but I couldn't connect to it through my crossover cable like I usually do. So I console to it and it was not letting me into User Exec Mode. It was just stuck here:

System Bootstrap, Version 11.0(10c)XB1, PLATFORM SPECIFIC RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Copyright (c) 1986-1997 by cisco Systems
2500 processor with 14336 Kbytes of main memory

%SYS-4-CONFIG_NEWER: Configurations from version 12.2 may not be correctly understood.

F3: 15535804+889700+1236752 at 0x3000060

Restricted Rights Legend

Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is
subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph
(c) of the Commercial Computer Software - Restricted
Rights clause at FAR sec. 52.227-19 and subparagraph
(c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer
Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.

cisco Systems, Inc.
170 West Tasman Drive
San Jose, California 95134-1706

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
IOS (tm) 2500 Software (C2500-IS-L), Version 12.2(15)T17, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: Support and Documentation - Cisco Systems
Copyright (c) 1986-2005 by cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Sat 13-Aug-05 15:26 by kehsiao
Image text-base: 0x0308038C, data-base: 0x00001000

cisco AS2511-RJ (68030) processor (revision I) with 14336K/2048K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID 10605943, with hardware revision 00000000
Bridging software.
X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
1 Serial network interface(s)
16 terminal line(s)
32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
16384K bytes of processor board System flash (Read ONLY)

UPDOWN: Interface Virtual-Access1, changed state to up
*Mar 1 00:01:25.951: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Virtual-Access1, changed state to up

Things that I have tried to troubleshoot:
  1. Turn it on and off
  2. Changed the Rollover cable (i was hoping its my cable)
  3. Google the problem (i didn't find any problems that were the same)
  4. Connect my Rollover cable to my 2501 and see how long it took to boot up (it took 2minutes max)
  5. Let it run for 20mins and see if it let me in User Exec Mode.

NOTE: The IOS installed to it is the same IOS (c2500-is-l.122-15.t17) that I installed on my (4x) 2501's that are working just fine.

Could the IOS be corrupted?
What could be the problem?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    You didnt accidentaly put 'no exec' under your console port did you? Thats what it sounds like to me though. Also, and it sounds stupid...make sure your not plugged into the aux port (I am guilty of this...my routers console ports were in the back though and I was doing it by 'feel'. :)) If you are in the console port though, and are still unsure try the steps to do a password recovery and boot ignoring your configs. See if you can get a response then.
  • Options
    You didnt accidentaly put 'no exec' under your console port did you? Thats what it sounds like to me though. Also, and it sounds stupid...make sure your not plugged into the aux port (I am guilty of this...my routers console ports were in the back though and I was doing it by 'feel'. :)) If you are in the console port though, and are still unsure try the steps to do a password recovery and boot ignoring your configs. See if you can get a response then.

I think you are right that it's the "no exec".

Yeah the console cable was not connected to aux port.

I was trying research a way to open more than 5 tabs in SecureCRT that day since it was throwing errors and then I bumped into a website that was saying to enter "no exec" in "line 1 18". Maybe I wasnt paying attention and I entered it in line con 0. I remembered I made changes to the config and saved it.

I know the config is working in the router because I can ping the router as soon as the its done booting up.

Ill try the password recovery tomorrow since I dont have a real serial connector at my house. The "break or ctrl +break key" doesnt work.

Thanks!
  • Options
    I fixed it! Thanks!

Its that damn "no exec". Rather than entering "no exec-timeout" , I left it at "exec-timeout 0".