Options

just failed with a 620...

iLLfLiPiLLfLiP Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
just took the net+ exam and failed with a 620... icon_sad.gif
More than half the test was made up of troubleshooting questions and really threw me completley off cause i didnt expect that many. Is there a site or resource that can help me with my troubleshooting problems? Gonna take the test again next week and need help only with troubleshooting questions...
thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    The trouble shooting questions are the majority of the test. They often require careful reading to ensure you understand the actual question. And they help to eliminate the people that just memorize a book and have no actual troubleshooting experience. While this makes it harder for some people to pass the test it also helps keep the respectability of the certification in tact.

Often times you will know the answer to the question its just all the added scenario and so forth that gets you confused.

for example:

Instead of asking what port ftp runs on - (21)

They may have it asked like this

"Your network is having several hack attempts to your internal ftp server, what port on the router should you block to eliminate access?"

virtually the same question, one was just a scenario and the other straightforward

Hope this helps some.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I bet if you buy the Technotes for a lousy $6.95, read them through, and you'll pass. Other than that, just be prepared for questions like that next time.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    yea i did buy the technotes and the weird thing is that i was able to get 85s-90's on every practice exam i've taken including mcmcse, technotes, and freetests. I just think that i may have rushed through the test, cause alot of the questions were worded very similar and just frustrated me. I guess i just have to really get down and dirty with troubleshooting cause i got everything else down...thanks for the suggestions
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    its called clamming up, we all have done it
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    keenon wrote:
    its called clamming up, we all have done it

very true, I'm sure you know your stuff, it just happens. Good Luck next time around.
  • Options
    qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
    You weren't far from passing. Just practice as much troubleshooting questions you can find. Try buying some if you have to.
    World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.
  • Options
    3000GT3000GT Member Posts: 212
    damn im 4 days away from taking my test, everyone of the practice tests ive been doing ive been hitting about 80-90%....

hope i do pass!

What study guides you been using iLLfLiP???
  • Options
    mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    Confidence is key! I used the exam cram2 book and tech notes on hear and crushed the exam. I have a bad case of test anxiety and i still do, but i conquer it by not studying the night before to get rest and eating healthy before the exam. Breath properly before hand to circulate the brain and just glance at the time in the corner every once in a while. Read the questions carefully just one time. Usually the answers can even give away the answer if you read them closely as well. So restudy,reschedule, and most important ask god to help you out and you should be just fine! :D
    Good luck
  • Options
    porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    iLLfLiP wrote:
    yea i did buy the technotes and the weird thing is that i was able to get 85s-90's on every practice exam i've taken including mcmcse, technotes, and freetests. I just think that i may have rushed through the test, cause alot of the questions were worded very similar and just frustrated me. I guess i just have to really get down and dirty with troubleshooting cause i got everything else down...thanks for the suggestions

Troubleshooting isn't important just for this or any other certification exam...it's important when you get out into the field. Would you want a car mechanic who is ACE certified, but doesn't know how to troubleshoot, work on your car? Or, a doctor who has book knowledge, but has no clue how to diagnose a problem take care of you or your family? If you don't know how to troubleshoot a problem by now...I would suggest that you work hard to master that skill, or try a different line of work.
  • Options
    but thats the problem im facing....

I cant get my hands on to troubleshoot networks, i have to go by books and senarios they give. I dont have the resorces or the cash to get any exipment to practice on icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    RobsonGTO wrote:
    but thats the problem im facing....

I cant get my hands on to troubleshoot networks, i have to go by books and senarios they give. I dont have the resorces or the cash to get any exipment to practice on icon_cry.gif

That's when you become resourceful and start doing volunteer work to gain experience. You'll always find a church, school or non-profit organization that's willing to let you work on their computers for free. Just don't let them know that you don't know what you're doing...yet. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    Sounds like you just arent the best test taker. This is pretty easy to overcome with practice. What always worked best for me is to look at the question, pick out the key points, put it into a context that your comfortable with. Just make sure you pick out keywords, like "does" instead of "doesnt". Also try memory recall, not for the sake of actually remembering something, but more so that you get re-focused. Example, what port does http use. If you cant remember and start to stress, you blew it. Instead, try and remember the actual page in the book that said - http is port 80. You probably wont actually be able to see the exact page from the book in your mind, but this technique forces you to focus, and you should be able to recreate a liking of the page in your head, with the correct answer, assuming you know it.

It takes practice, so make sure you practice it on some test sims before you go for the real thing again.

Got me through 4 years of college and hundreds of vendor certifications and renewals. Give it a shot.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    thanks alot for all the help. I'm definitley taking all your advice and i'm gonna study even harder so i can pass the exam this week. Gonna look into more troubleshooting scenarios, and should hopefully pass the test... icon_lol.gif
    Once again, thanks for all the help
  • Options
    netcom2000netcom2000 Member Posts: 117
    Just take yor time, you have approximately 1 and half hours fo the exam answering some 72 questions as you must certainaly know.

I found that at least a third of he questions were specified at troublshooting, and the rest at a more basic level such as port numbers, OSI Model, TCP/IP and DNS and soforth, so just take the time to digest the questions and answer accordingly.

But most impotantly, do not panic.
    Future planned exams are as follows: CCNA, Windows 2003 Server 70-290

"Like the Roman, I see the Tiber foaming with so much blood"

Enoch Powell 1968

"We died in hell, they called it Passchendaele"
  • Options
    my_id_0308my_id_0308 Member Posts: 171
    That is true...i got lots of troubleshooting questions too...dont worry...I am sure you are more prepare than ever...Just take time to understand the question...read several times until you know what it is exactly asking...
    Hope this helps
  • Options
    gabilangabilan Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My advise review the objectives network implementation and network support and study more in these areas. I had a lot of troubleshooting and implemantation question in my exam too. Read the question well and eliminate from the answers the obvious wrong answers. Normally you will be choosing between two answers analyse to verify which one is the correct according to the question.

Good luck in your next try.
  • Options
    just retook the test and passed this time around!!! :D
    onto iNet+ and A+
    thanks again for all the help fellas, i really appreciate it and it def. helped...
  • Options
    what did you get dude??
  • Options
    my_id_0308my_id_0308 Member Posts: 171
    congrats...man...
  • Options
    thanks, and i got a 720