Options

Passed SY0-301

xerxespotatoxerxespotato Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just got the notification email from CompTIA saying that I could download the pdf copy of my Security+ certificate. I took the test yesterday (@ around 2:00PM), and it only took about 45-50 minutes to complete the test.

I used the following materials to study:
  • Darril Gibson's SY0-301 Get Ahead, Get Certified Study Guide
    • SY0-301 Get Ahead, Get Certified Practice Test Questions

When I took the test, I felt pretty confident about the material, and ended up scoring an 846/900. Not too shabby, considering I got the books on the 19th.

I am now in pursuit of the SSCP. I have ordered the SSCP Gold Book (vol 2) and Darril Gibson's SSCP All-in-One Exam guide. I hope to have the SSCP done by about mid-end January 2012, at which point in time I will start down the CCENT/CCNA path.

This is only my first post, but it is the first of many to come.

Regards,

Blake

Comments

• Options
    rwb964rwb964 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■■□□□□□□□
    nice, congrats on passing the sec+ exam.

do you feel like a lot of the questions were scenario based? or definition based? or all kinds?

do you feel it would be easier to take a certification course, instead of self study for something like the CCNA exam?

i was thinking with the certification course, they could prepare you before you take the exam.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats! Can't go wrong with Darril's book.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congratulations and welcome to the forum. Glad the books helped and best of luck on the SSCP exam.
    Great advice cyberguypr. Thanks.

Darril Gibson
    Security+ blog
    Security+ Tip Of Day
  • Options
    xerxespotatoxerxespotato Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In regards to the questions being scenario based/situation based, I would have to say that there was a good mixture of questions that covered all of the topics of the Security+ exam. I believe that if you study enough, the answers will just come naturally, and it won't be a problem getting that certificate.

In regards to the CCNA exam, I will be doing that after I get the SSCP done with. I will be doing the CCENT/CCNA route because it seems like it is more suited to my study habits. My suggestion (after reading many of those on the forums) would be to get the official Cisco Press book from Wendell Odom & also buy the Boson simulation labs. This will give you a virtual "hands-on" experience for those who don't have access to physical hardware (such as myself).
  • Options
    onatechmissiononatechmission Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats !!! i am currently studying for the security+ exam as well. i am shooting to take the test sometime this month if i am able to do so.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63