Wireless Standard question

ChrisRiceChrisRice Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
Okay so I'm reading the CompTIA Network + Review guide from Sybex and I'm onto 802.11. It mentions that 802.11a uses Orthogonal Frequency-Division Multiplexing, while b, g and n use Direct-Sequence Spread Spectrum (DSSS). In simple-ish terms, what does this mean?

I realise it's not part of the exam, but I'm just curious to know as 802.11a is faster than b and as fast as g, uses the emptier of the two frequencies yet isn't widely used. Why is this?

Comments

• MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ChrisRice wrote: »
    I realise it's not part of the exam, but I'm just curious to know as 802.11a is faster than b and as fast as g, uses the emptier of the two frequencies yet isn't widely used. Why is this?
    IIRC; the problem is that 802.11a has a shorter range and can't penetrate walls or other obstructions as well and 802.11b/g.
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    As for the real difference between the two modes - who knows, except to say that G/N is clearly better than A/B. I was reading something about "protected mode" in G/N devices and somehow that is tied to DSSS.

Direct-sequence spread spectrum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • ChrisRiceChrisRice Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ah okay, thanks.. Well I've read through that and through a few of the linked pages, and it sort of makes sense, but a lot of it went right over my head icon_rolleyes.gif
  • JDH51086JDH51086 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The primary reason that 802.11a has a shorter range and poorer penetration capabilities is because it uses the higher frequency 5Ghz-range frequencies whereas B/G uses 2.4Ghz. As a general rule of thumb, lower frequencies penetrate materials better due to them having a longer wavelength, but lower data rates. You can pack more data into a wave that pulses 5.8 billion times per second as opposed to one that only pulses 2.4 billion times per second. N gets around that lower data limitation by using multiple data streams simultaneously.

If you get more interested in this stuff, take a look at the CWNA certification and training materials. :)