Should I get another Certification?

TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
I was thinking about upping my MCSA 2003 to MCSA 2008 just for the heck of it... I have access to all the MCITP Exam books here at work. I am half way through the 70-640 book and really haven't learned anything new. I have put off doing exams for a while because 1. I have so many... 2. They seem they are worth less and less these days. 3. My job could care less what certifications I have, it will not help me advance.

I am at a point that I either go back to school and get a masters and move into Executive Management, or I continue doing what I am doing.

I haven't gone back to school because I have a great paying job, love the people I work with and really have no desire to deal with all the headaches that come with the extra responsibility and workload of a Director/Manager...

Instead, I have been spending my spare time on photography as it has always been a hobby of mine and I really enjoy it.

Comments

• pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    Most people don't get certs to advance at their job. They do it to
    1. Gain the knowledge from it
    2. Get a job elsewhere

Neither of which applies to you, so I guess if your job is secure, then there's no point in getting the MCITP as most of the stuff is the same.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    pham0329 wrote: »
    Most people don't get certs to advance at their job. They do it to
    1. Gain the knowledge from it
    2. Get a job elsewhere
    I would elaborate on that and say that there is always value in adding certifications to your resume. There are few jobs where it makes absolutely no impact on job security, raises, and promotions, and for those few jobs, it's still worth improving your skills and resume for when you do decide to move on -- even if you aren't looking right now.
    TechJunky wrote: »
    I was thinking about upping my MCSA 2003 to MCSA 2008 just for the heck of it...
    Not to nitpick, but there is no such thing. You would want to take the 70-648 exam, which upgrades MCSA 2003 to two MCTS certs. From there, you can take 70-646 to obtain MCITP:Server Administrator or take 70-643 and 70-647 to obtain one more MCTS and MCITP:Enterprise Administrator. All of the MCTS certs have some individual value, and both MCITP certs have a lot value.

Even with no advancement opportunities from certifications at your current position, I would still encourage you to improve your skills and obtain certifications and education. Unless you really think you will work in that job forever and don't want to move onto better things, it is worth continuing to build your resume and your skillset.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think if your attitude is something along the lines of "well I am going to do it just for the heck of it" your probably not going to do it so just be honest with yourself.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    TechJunky wrote: »
    I was thinking about upping my MCSA 2003 to MCSA 2008 just for the heck of it... I have access to all the MCITP Exam books here at work. I am half way through the 70-640 book and really haven't learned anything new. I have put off doing exams for a while because 1. I have so many... 2. They seem they are worth less and less these days. 3. My job could care less what certifications I have, it will not help me advance.

I am at a point that I either go back to school and get a masters and move into Executive Management, or I continue doing what I am doing.

I haven't gone back to school because I have a great paying job, love the people I work with and really have no desire to deal with all the headaches that come with the extra responsibility and workload of a Director/Manager...

Instead, I have been spending my spare time on photography as it has always been a hobby of mine and I really enjoy it.

Do you want to become a C level/VP/Director?

If so pursue the masters if not keep chugging along.

Personally I think certifcations are losing value in quite a few of the technologies. Not all but some.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think you probably should. No one gives you a job forever a certs can help keep your skills sharp and help your remain maketable. Why not get the Masters and grab a few more certs? The certs could give you a short term boast in marketablility and the Masters could give you a long term one.
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Thanks for the feedback. I think I will work on the degree, since I don't plan on moving anywhere anytime soon... Both at my job or within the state.