Options

Anyone go from bad/mediocre to awesome/superstar at their jobs?

vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
Has anyone gone from not performing and/or doing enough to get by to awesome? Who or what made you change? How'd you change? Etc. (was it a mental change, job change, management change, etc.)

Just wondering, usually stories like these tend to help a lot of the people who are feeling a little down about their jobs. icon_thumright.gif

Comments

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    No, I've always been awesome. ;)

J/k... There was a time where I wasn't doing so good, due to a crazy ex-wife (not just saying that, she was clinically crazy, diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder) attempting to ruin my life. Don't have time to go into detail, but I established dominance, cleared my name, and came out the mess even more awesome than before.
  • Options
    dustinmurphydustinmurphy Member Posts: 170
    Unfortunately, I can't say I was "bad/mediocre" ... I was just inexperienced. My past 3 jobs I've had... I started with a limited skillset and gained TONS of knowledge and new skillsets. When I started 4 years ago, I was "good" with computers, but didn't really know a whole lot about servers and networking. My first job got me a good look at servers... but nothing near what I know now. My second job was my first introduction to REAL servers (not just Microsoft SBS servers) and clustering. IMO - it's ALL a learning experience. You may start a job with a limited skillset, but you should always try to challenge yourself and take on things that may be out of your comfort range. I had never built a cluster in my life, but at my last job, I was given the task to build the company's production SQL cluster. I had to build it about 12 times, but finally got it right. Now, I know how to build a SQL 2005 cluster on top of Windows Server 2008. I was also introduced to a little bit of Cisco stuff at that job... which when I started my current position, I was not completely schooled.... I ended up taking on the responsibility of building a secure network and re-segmenting the network. I was also tasked with building the VPN's and having a completely running network...

I think the best advice I have for people who are "bad" and want to improve... challenge yourself. Learn, learn, learn.... then document what you learned. ;)

Edit: Of course, my learning curve has been accelerated... I went from PC Tech to IT Manager in 3.5 years. LOL
  • Options
    Raidersfan81Raidersfan81 Member Posts: 124
    I started out as Adam Morrison, and now I'm Michael Jordan
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think you are going to be in a bad position when you get a negative perception of your abilities and/or work ethic... and I think it is nearly impossible to change that in most environments, even if you are performing better. I think if your boss leaves and you get an outsider hired in, you may have a chance, but that often has its own risks.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    my latest job, my boss and most of senior management love me, but the boss of my boss hates my guts (no clue why). he even tried to sabotage my promotion (It was just made official today that I got promoted), but between all the senior managers above him, they called him crazy and promoted me instead.... at any job you have to prove yourself even if sometimes it means that you go backwards, but this does not mean you will be stuck in the rut forever. keep your head up.
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green