Options

GNS3 - quick questions

altjxaltjx Member Posts: 194
I've been using Packet Tracer since taking the CCNA classes about 2 years ago, but I keep hearing all the good news about GNS3 :D. Do you all find it to be much better than Packet Tracer and provide more functionality? Also, I've tried it briefly while at work, but where do you all download the IOS images for it and everything? There's a few weird things I found while trying to use it, like not being able to drag a host directly to the map w/o some message popping up to configure it first.

Not necessarily trying to get direct GNS3 support, but more curious about the experiences from the people who have used it to pass Cisco exams.

Thanks for any feedback.
CompTIA: A+, Security+, Network+
Microsoft: MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring
Cisco: CCENT, CCNA

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    GNS3 is always going to be superior to things like Packet Tracer for learning routing, mainly because it's not a simulator but rather an emulator. The drawback is that, since GNS3 runs the actual IOS, you'll need a copy of the IOS you want to use for your virtual router(s).

As for where to download the IOS software, that's a little trickier. You do need the real software, which is not available for legal download through anyone but Cisco, and through them you'll need a support-contract for physical routers to have access to the software.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Ah, gotcha, so it really does use real IOS images. I thought it used some sort of downloadable image through their website that I just wasn't seeing. That makes sense. Thanks.
    Microsoft: MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring
  • Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    also note that gns3 only can emulate routers, for the switching stuff you have to use real equipment (which can be combined withe the gns3 stuff - which is kinda cool) or fall back to PT. for me PT did the trick preparing for ccna - but if you got to ccnp level gns3 and real hardware are a must ....
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Options
    also note that gns3 only can emulate routers, for the switching stuff you have to use real equipment (which can be combined withe the gns3 stuff - which is kinda cool) or fall back to PT. for me PT did the trick preparing for ccna - but if you got to ccnp level gns3 and real hardware are a must ....

Gotcha, I'll be taking CCNA next Wednesday, and just wanted to make sure I haven't missed out on something much better, but looks like PT did the work for you so I should be good too ^_^

Thank you :)
  • Options
    if you are preparing for ccna exam thats only a week away i would not engage gns3... because you will lose at least an hour or two to get it tweaked and running. but if you plan going beyond ccna gns3 is really worth it.

btw: good luck for the exam
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Options
    Sounds good. Thanks man!
  • Options
    ciscoman2012ciscoman2012 Member Posts: 313
    Can anyone here provide links with how to use the GNS3 functionality of Routing with real hardware switches like the 2950s?
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Can anyone here provide links with how to use the GNS3 functionality of Routing with real hardware switches like the 2950s?

Connecting GNS3 to Real Networks | GNS3

This might help. It took me a bit to get it working the first time.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Have you seen the CBT Nuggets GSN3 video ?

http://www.cbtnuggets.com/standalone?video=/freevideo/csco_642_902_02.mp4

Its just for the basics of using it (not connecting to real switches)
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    IEWANNABEIEWANNABE Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I haven't seen the nuggets for gns3, THANKS!