Options

Starting My CWNA Journey

Hello to all!

Today I decided to push for my CWNA. I am going to take the test sometime in December, most likely in the third week of the month.

As a background of myself, I have a N+, A+, CCENT, and CWTS.

For study materials, I will use the CBT Nuggets for CWNA, and the official CWNA Study Guide from Sybex.
Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU

Comments

• Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I started studying for the CWNA but I choose RHCSA and RHCE first. Let me know how you like the video's.

Do you want to get a job in wireless/wifi/802.11?
  • Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    I actually already work in a NOC position in a company that does large wireless deployments, and uses high speed wireless backbones (60Ghz / 80Ghz Bridgewaves, Athena, Dragonwave, etc). So, I pretty much already have a wifi/80211 based job.

The certification will hopefully make me eligible for promotions within the company that I work
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
  • Options
    Nice, keep us up to date on studies..good luck
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Large companies usually look to certifications as an indication of people who are serious about learning their craft. I work in a NOC too, where having a CCNA is a minimum and a CCNP is preferred. If we did wireless, I'm sure the CWNA/CWSP would be right in there as well.
  • Options
    Will this cert ever become a household name?
  • Options
    Im not sure about "household name" , but the CWNA already has a great name in the Wireless Networking Industry.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good Luck! Make sure you post a review when you are done.
  • Options
    Just finished outlining the entire Sybex CWNA Study Guide. The chapters were pretty well written. I thought a bit of it was somewhat redundant (repeating things already stated in previous chapters, etc) but at the same time that sort of thing makes for a really solid foundation.

I also definitely think that my experience working with wireless in an enterprise environment greatly helped with the overall understanding of the subject matter.

Now on to practice tests and flash cards!
  • Options
    After finishing my outline of all materials... I ended up with a word document of 9000+ words and 40 pages... lol. I may need to slim down the notes
  • Options
    universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    keep us updated on the progress.

I have this on my plate eventually and then CWSP (got a free never expiring voucher and a book for that one)....
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
  • Options
    Test is scheduled for tomorrow at 3:30PM
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Corndork2 wrote: »
    Test is scheduled for tomorrow at 3:30PM

Good luck!
  • Options
    which book did you use to study for thw CWNA?

Let us know how the exam went....

i want to knock this out this spring and then hit the CWSP right afterwards.

I have the CWNP approved sybex book (came with a free exam voucher) for the CWSP and it is fairly straight forward (of course I have 14 years experience in wireless and RF).
  • Options
    PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    So how did it go? We are curious!
  • Options
    yes, how did it go?

I am interested in taking this, and I want to do it sooner rather than later (if I pass i will move straight onto cwsp since I have a free voucher for that exam).
  • Options
    I'm interested to know how it went as well.
  • Options
    ping2singhping2singh Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    in which company u r sir right know....
    which book did you use to study for thw CWNA?

Let us know how the exam went....

i want to knock this out this spring and then hit the CWSP right afterwards.

I have the CWNP approved sybex book (came with a free exam voucher) for the CWSP and it is fairly straight forward (of course I have 14 years experience in wireless and RF).