Options

ADSL- comes under circuit or packet switching?

shanparamesshanparames Member Posts: 103 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi

I found that ADSL is packet switching type of communictaion. Definition for circuit switching is
"A type of communications in which a dedicated channel (or circuit) is established for the duration of a transmission."

In practical, telco line connects to the ADSL modem/router through which we are communicating to internet.In this context I have some doubt.The telco line which is connected to our ADSL modem is not shared with any other device ,connects only to the CO of the telco where we get the internet connection.That means the line which connects to the modem is dedicated upto CO.then it becomes circuit switching or not upto the CO .

Anybody please explain?

Thanks

S.Swaminathan
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    I am only going to make matters worse, but most DSLs go back to ATM switches, which use Cell Switching.
  • Options
    SharkDiver wrote: »
    I am only going to make matters worse, but most DSLs go back to ATM switches, which use Cell Switching.

Hi SharkDiver

I posted this in the forum link : networking-forum.com - View topic - ADSL- comes under circuit or packet switching?

where Carlitos_30 replied me which is convincing me with the reply

" The local loop is exclusive only to the suscriber. Far away from there all is shared."

Any explanation without confusing my gotten idea please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks
  • Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Yes, I would agree with that. The local loop to the subsciber is definitely exclusive. Once you get wired through a DSLAM, I am not sure whether you are shared, or exclusive.

Maybe someone else knows that.
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    ADSL is a dedicated line to the Modem - it then connects into the CO at the DSLAM (dsl multi-plexer) and is then back hauled through the provider network in ATM/Frame style like an OC-12 trunk using PVC's - each dsl connection is time slotted out on the dslam which gives your base speed of the connection. This would be an example of Packet Switching. -- ATM does use cells but the vc is constant and not circuit switched.

If you're shared on the back haul has a lot to do with the configuration of the provider - some do, some dont. I worked for One Communications (Choice One) and it all depended on the "market".

If we take a typical DSL customer

you have a PE Router with a SONET/T3/or ATM - primarily ATM

ATM0/1/1 -> ATM sub interfaces -> DSLAM -> DSLAM Port Configurations ie: Slot 7 Port 4 -> customer

once it hit the DSLAM the dslam it was sent out to the customer on a "dedicated" link but ... but is on the same trunk back to the core.
  • Options
    Thank you for all for the inputs
    Thanks
  • Options
    thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi

I found that ADSL is packet switching type of communictaion. Definition for circuit switching is
    "A type of communications in which a dedicated channel (or circuit) is established for the duration of a transmission."

In practical, telco line connects to the ADSL modem/router through which we are communicating to internet.In this context I have some doubt.The telco line which is connected to our ADSL modem is not shared with any other device ,connects only to the CO of the telco where we get the internet connection.That means the line which connects to the modem is dedicated upto CO.then it becomes circuit switching or not upto the CO .

Anybody please explain?

Thanks

S.Swaminathan

As far as i know, DSL is a mixed connection type. Its a dedicated connection on the customer side(single connection only subscribed to you/individual), though, on the ISP side your connection is shared between other people. Thats why, in a day, people can experience
    connection problems.
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)