Options

I am MS certified.....in NT 4. How to get to Server 2008 Cert?

araczekaraczek Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just started looking back into my MCSE certification and realized I am only certified up to NT 4 although
I have been working with Server 2003 for several years. I know the certifications have changed so I was
wondering what would be the equivalent of an MCSE in Server 2008? And I know it would be a stretch to ask if
there is some kind of upgrade path to 2008.

If I have to start from scratch so be it. Having just passed Security+ thought I'd continue on before I get too lazy.
But I was also thinking of going towards a specialty in Security, VMware, SAN storage or Cisco. Been an admin a
bit too long. But for my job I need to be certified on all the OS's I use.

If you have info you can point me to or can tell me more that would be great. I just don't have a whole lot of time
to go pouring over dozens of web page links. icon_wink.gif

Comments

• Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The equivalent to an MCSE on 2008 is the MCITP Enterprise Administrator.

More information: MCITP (Microsoft Certified IT Professional) | Training Courses for IT Professionals

Pretty sure you'll have to start from scratch as I believe the only upgrade path options available that exist any more are from 2000 to 2003 and then 2003 to 2008.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There is no upgrade path available to MCSEs on NT or 2000. MCSE on NT cannot be upgraded to MCSE 2003 (never could be directly upgraded), and the MCSE 2000 upgrade path exams are retired.
    MCSE Certification | MCSE Training | Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer

You will need to start from scratch. I would recommend this order: 70-640, 70-642, 70-680, 70-643, 70-647

If you follow TeKniques' link or Google those certifications, you will see the certification requirements.

However, if you do not want to continue doing Windows systems administration or engineering, it doesn't make sense to go down this route. The MCITP exams are by no means easy, and unless you have up to date experience your MCSE on NT knowledge is largely irrelevant to the exam material. Only the basics of Active Directory and network infrastructure services have not changed since NT.

Cisco is a completely different career track, so much so that getting in network administration positions will devalue what is presumably a lot of sysadmin experience (MCSE on NT exams were retired a very long time ago). I see value in getting Cisco certs to improve and validate one's understanding of networking, but not to add significant market value to an established systems engineer.

VMware certification requires you take an expensive training course, but it is a great specialization and a good point to move to for an already established systems administrator/engineer.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Man that sucks, you have your MCSE and you have to get it again for a different year.

I liked your idea of VMware or Cisco personally.

Whatever you choose good luck.
  • Options
    universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    if i were in your shoes I would go for the virtualization route. depends on which virtualization certs for what you have in your shop or for your clients.
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    N2IT wrote: »
    Man that sucks, you have your MCSE and you have to get it again for a different year.

I liked your idea of VMware or Cisco personally.

Whatever you choose good luck.

He has his MCSE in NT 4.0. Server 2000 is when the Active Directory we all know and love came into being. NT 4.0 was nowhere near as pretty to look at or administer as it was in 2000 and onwards. The OP no doubt knows this.

In any event, this doesn't suck at that he would have to recertify. The technology is totally different (like how Server 2008 is DNS-dependent, instead of WINS-dependant, like in the NT 4.0 days), or how domain/local users were setup in a flat environment much unlike Active Directory. No MCSE NT 4.0 guy (who just stayed with NT 4.0 and had no experience in Server 200x; the OP has 2003 experience) is going to demonstrate well the differences between NT 4.0 and Server 200x.

OP, you're gonna want to read Mastering Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Unleashed. The former has helped me greatly getting RDS (TS as you might have remembered it...) down pat. Trust me, it's not just setting up a TS with TS Cals and calling it a day anymore....I've learned that the hard way.