Options

Certification study for CPE's

apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey all,

Is anyone aware of a list of generally accepted CPE value's for various other certifications?

I think I heard of one but can never seem to find it so Im starting to wonder if its a myth...

Since getting my CISSP, Ive taken Project+, MCSE to MCITP:SA/EA upgrade, CCNA, CCNA:Security, CCNP:Security.

Just on the average length of each CBT nugget for each exam in each series all those exams add up to 165+ hours so in theory I could claim 165 hours of CPE's I guess... but what if I was reading a book and it took me even longer?

It'd be nice if there was a list of preset values for each exam or exam path.

If you know of one please let me know.

Thanks!
Currently Working On: Openstack
2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    apr911 wrote: »
    Is anyone aware of a list of generally accepted CPE value's for various other certifications?
    The only place you can get an accurate answer to that question is from the certification vendors themselves. Vendor X might give you NN CPEs for having the ABC cert, while vendor Y might give you squat. It's best to contact the specific cert vendor who deals in CPEs and ask (and then report back here ;) ).
    Just on the average length of each CBT nugget for each exam in each series all those exams add up to 165+ hours so in theory I could claim 165 hours of CPE's I guess...
    Cert vendors usually have strict limitations on how many CPEs can be claimed from taking classes and self-study.
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I believe you use the "recommended" completion time that the training material provides (usually each chapter says how much time it should take you to complete that chapter). Example - most books have a recommended completion time at the begining of each chapter. If you took longer to complete the chapter (ex: recommended time is 30 minutes and you took 1 hour, you can only claim the 30 minutes). As always, consult ISC(2) for clarification.
    Hey all,

I think I heard of one but can never seem to find it so Im starting to wonder if its a myth...

Since getting my CISSP, Ive taken Project+, MCSE to MCITP:SA/EA upgrade, CCNA, CCNA:Security, CCNP:Security.

Just on the average length of each CBT nugget for each exam in each series all those exams add up to 165+ hours so in theory I could claim 165 hours of CPE's I guess... but what if I was reading a book and it took me even longer?

It'd be nice if there was a list of preset values for each exam or exam path.

If you know of one please let me know.

Thanks!
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    The only place you can get an accurate answer to that question is from the certification vendors themselves. Vendor X might give you NN CPEs for having the ABC cert, while vendor Y might give you squat. It's best to contact the specific cert vendor who deals in CPEs and ask (and then report back here ;) ).

Cert vendors usually have strict limitations on how many CPEs can be claimed from taking classes and self-study.

ISACA is VERY stringent. For CISA, here is how you compute your CPE time. Below that, highlights from their CPE policy demonstrating how chinchy they are in granting time.

Calculating CPE HoursCPE hours are earned only in full-hour increments and rounding must be down. For example, a CISA who attends an 8-hour presentation (480 minutes) with 90 minutes of breaks will earn 7 continuing professional education hours.

[h=4]Educational Activity Schedule[/h]
    [h=4]Actual Hours[/h]
    [h=4]Minutes[/h]

9:00 am - 5:00 pm

Less: Two 15-minute breaks

Less: Lunch - 1 hour

Total hours of professional education activity

[h=4]Sample Calculation[/h]390 minutes divided by 50 minutes = 7.8 or 7 CPE hours (rounded down)

Passing related professional examinations (no limit): This activity pertains to the pursuit of other related professional examinations. One CPE hour is earned for each examination hour when a passing score is achieved.

Self-study courses (no limit): These activities include structured courses designed for self-study that offer CPE hours. These courses will only be accepted if the course provider issues a certificate of completion and the certificate contains the number of CPE hours earned for the course. One CPE hour can also be earned when a passing score is achieved on an ISACA® Journal quiz. Up to three CPE hours can be earned by CISA ISACA members when a passing score is achieved on an ISACA e-symposium quiz.

Non-ISACA professional education activities and meetings (no limit): These activities include in-house corporate training, university courses, conferences, seminars, workshops, and professional meetings and related activities not sponsored by ISACA. In addition, CPE hours can be earned from certification review courses if such courses advance the CISA’s IS audit, control and security or audit-related managerial knowledge or skills. CISAs earn CPE hours according to the number of hours of active participation. (See Calculating CPE Hours section). However, successfully completed university courses in related fields, including university online courses, earn 15 CPE hours per semester credit hour and 10 CPE hours per quarter credit hour (semester = 15 weeks of class; quarter = 10 weeks of class).

I am not sure how WGU's credit scheme will translate into CPEs. Has anyone tried to claim them yet?
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't know about ISACA but some time ago I called ISC2 and discovered you can actually post the .5 CPE. I know that listening to podcasts are not rounded to have exactly 2 hours.
    Example:
    Domain 1 1.50 CPE
    Domain 2 .50 CPE
    Domain 3 4.0 CPE