Options

electric bill ?

GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
After i moved to a flat ( at a new country and so on) , i was surprised with the electric bill. My question is how much do these devices ( a lab) consumes electric( can be comparable with another devices) ? a big impact on the bill ?( approximately due to your experiences) or should i use GNS 3 more often ?

Here is my lab :
2x Cisco 2620XM
1x Cisco 2610XM
2x WS-C2950- 24
2x WIC1T
1x NM 4 A/s

Comments

• Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thats one of the reasons why i never bothered buying a Lab (that and the money and space). They will consume lots of electricity as I doubt they are energy efficient compared to PCs with their 80%rated psus and other power saving components.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Are you planning on having the lab online 24/7? My lab is similar to yours and I didn't see much of a bump in the bill one I fired it up 2-3 hours per day for a period of 2 months.
  • Options
    My plan is to study on it 2 hours per day as an average. I was just curious if they will rise the consumption too much . I am of course aware of ( and accepted some amount of rise ). on the other hand i didn't want to feel the pain with the experience. ( like : OMG my bill is 3x more this month)
  • Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    you can calculate it by yourself.

check the system specs for your devices on ciscos website

2620s for example are there with 75 W (max) means that 2 of them consume 150 W max which is 0.15 kilo watt per hour
    i guess the 2610 and the 2950 are similar in consumption and the WICs are on the house i guess since they dont have their own power supply.

so my assumption is the lab would consume about 0.3 kw/h which is about 7 to 10 euro cent per hour where i live. if you run it 2 hours a day it will be approx. 6 bucks a month...
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Options
    you can calculate it by yourself.

check the system specs for your devices on ciscos website

2620s for example are there with 75 W (max) means that 2 of them consume 150 W max which is 0.15 kilo watt per hour
    i guess the 2610 and the 2950 are similar in consumption and the WICs are on the house i guess since they dont have their own power supply.

so my assumption is the lab would consume about 0.3 kw/h which is about 7 to 10 euro cent per hour where i live. if you run it 2 hours a day it will be approx. 6 bucks a month...

Actually i made a similar calculation. after asking this question here . from the calculation above my result was 4 euro per month ( which is completely okay for me, now i am happy ) :)

Thanks for providing the answer :)
  • Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    your welcome. i guess power in poland is a bit less expensive then it is here in germany - so you should be fine
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Turn your lab off when not using it.
    Older cisco stuff can really suck down the juice especially the larger ones like 3660's with dual psu's

Here (Australia) they are privatizing all the utilities (electricity , water and gas) and we're getting large price rises and large service fee increases.
    My most recent bill jumped $100 even though my electricity use was down 5% service charge is now $60.
    Costs me around AUD$1200 a year for electricity for a small apartment with just me living there.

Thats conservative governments(state governments) for you, user pays and if you can't pay bad luck
    (very few places where you could get drinking water for free)
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014