Options

Delegating Zones for DNS help

elususelusus Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I've just finished the MS PRESS book for 70-640 and I am now going through the Sybex book. I still dont have a clear understanding to why you would need to delegate zones in your DNS. I thought that Active Directory integrated DNS does all that behind the scene when you create new domains. I also know that you have to create a delegation if you create a new tree inside a forest since either of them are not authoritative to each other.

Can someone provide me an example of why you would need to create delegations on DNS servers that are also Domain Controllers?

Comments

• Options
    PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    In hindsight, I wished I had studied the 70-642 DNS sections before taking the 70-640. It is explained much clearer in the 70-642 training books.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    elusus wrote: »
    So I've just finished the MS PRESS book for 70-640 and I am now going through the Sybex book. I still dont have a clear understanding to why you would need to delegate zones in your DNS. I thought that Active Directory integrated DNS does all that behind the scene when you create new domains. I also know that you have to create a delegation if you create a new tree inside a forest since either of them are not authoritative to each other.

Can someone provide me an example of why you would need to create delegations on DNS servers that are also Domain Controllers?

I am working on the 640 exam, as well. Delegation of zones can be done if you want to delegate management of your DNS namespace to another department or maybe another admin. Smaller zones would have better name resolution and fault tolerance. You could also delegate a zone, if you wanted to open another site or perhaps a branch office. An important thing to remember is that once you've created the new zone, you have to have the delegation records in other zones that point to the DNS servers that you've set to be authoritative for that new zone.
  • Options
    elususelusus Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you. That helped a lot.