Options

Trying to begin my Cisco education

qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm about to begin my CCNA studies but before I do I wanted to setup a small lab and what you guys recommend for someone on a limited budget.

Ive seen some of those sites selling kits but they all seem to be really different and expensive.

What about this one to get me started:

http://www.certificationkits.com/cisco-dual-2501-8-8-router-ccna-kit/

Comments

• Options
    ciscoman2012ciscoman2012 Member Posts: 313
    If you want 2501 routers you can get those for about $15-30 each on eBay.

I would use Packet Tracer or GNS3 for the time being personally.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    This topic comes up regularly. Let me be the first one to say it: stay away from kits. Most are obsolete equipment that has limited functionality for CCNA study purposes. Your money can be invested in separate components that will be a better bang for your buck. eBay is a great resource if you know what to look for. An additional benefit is that by doing your research you get to understand the differences between different models. Do a quick search for CCNA Lab and you will see many threads expanding on this approach.

As ciscoman2012 mentioned, you can definitely go for simulators and save some money while not missing much. In my case I tried the simulators years ago and quickly got bored/lost interest. Earlier this year a built a lab and it brought a completely new perspective. All those little flashing light kept me interested and motivated. Up to you to decide what works for you.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Agreed with the previous posts that kits are bad, you'll be paying for the gear plus the seller's time assembling the kits so it'll cost more than you can find the pieces on your own for. If you want to go with real gear (not a bad idea if you have little or no hands on with real Cisco routers and switches), you want to look at 1721, 1760 and 2600XM routers and 2950 and 3550 switches.

Before suggesting with models and how many of each, what do you hope to accomplish with a home lab? CCNA only? Further certs? Routing and Switching only or other tracks (security, voice wireless)? Other non-cert related tinkering? And of course, do want a full lab, or a few pieces to get some hands on with, but do most of your studying in GNS3?
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    qwertyiop wrote: »

Ah, man, I just need to direct you to my thread.

I actually purchased almost the exact kit (except one more 2501) from the exact seller, realized my mistakes, and got a refund before it even shipped out.

Take a look at my thread and it should answer a bunch of the questions you have.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/72324-building-lab-what-do-you-think-icnd1-icnd2.html
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    DO NOT BUY A PRE MADE KIT!

YOU WILL PAY PREMIUM PRICES FOR OLD EQUIPMENT!

Do your home work and read up here and else where on recommended hardware for ccna , ccnp etc

look for 2011 CCNA lab series
    Cisco Cert Zone

Have a good read of this site
    CCNA Topologies
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I definitely agree. Looking at those kits when you first decide to get into Cisco looks very attractive. But after you start learning you'll soon find out that 2501's are okay, but you'll want to look more for 2610xm's or 2620xm's and for switches you'll want to get 2950's. I've been putting together my lab for almost a year, but then again I didn't want to piece it together fast, i bought them here and there.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    2501's are only okay for frame relay use . For less money you can get a few 1721's, a few wics, cables etc

If you plan to go beyond ccna, they won't be much use at all(other than frame relay).

Other option is to buy a few switches 2-3 2950's , 1-2 3550's and use gsn3 for the routers
    and get a quad or couple of dual port network cards for your pc.
  • Options
    ShanmanShanman Member Posts: 223
    I personally like real gear. Like stated before it is nice to see the blinking lights. I know people recommend gns3 for routers but how does one come across the IOS images to use? I personally just used the ones that came with my equipment, but if you have nothing and are just starting I think this can be a problem since these are protected under copy-write law from Cisco.
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    Let me be the voice of contention. I bought a kit on eBay and I am thrilled with it. I got 3x 2950 switches and 2x 3640 routers for $180. The biggest plus to buying them together is the savings on shipping. It wasn't from a kit dealer, but someone who was done studying for Cisco and selling their own equipment. I have then added to that with a rack, PDU, 2509 router (free), and other odds and ends.

Do like everyone says and study the right equipment that you need, then go and find the cheapest way to get it. It may be a kit but it probably won't.
  • Options
    swild wrote: »
    Let me be the voice of contention. I bought a kit on eBay and I am thrilled with it. I got 3x 2950 switches and 2x 3640 routers for $180. The biggest plus to buying them together is the savings on shipping. It wasn't from a kit dealer, but someone who was done studying for Cisco and selling their own equipment. I have then added to that with a rack, PDU, 2509 router (free), and other odds and ends.

Do like everyone says and study the right equipment that you need, then go and find the cheapest way to get it. It may be a kit but it probably won't.

Wow, sounds like you got a great deal on that kit! I assume it was an auction style listing and not a buy it now since it wasn't a kit from a seller?

And I agree with you 100% on the shipping charges on eBay. Some of them are simply outrageous!
  • Options
    Yes but thats not a premade kit.

I'd also suggest having a read of the most recent 5 to 10 pages of the post your lab pics thread
    to see what others are using
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/15235-post-your-lab-pics-28.html

here's the link to the cbt nuggets gsn3 video I forgot to include earlier
    http://www.cbtnuggets.com/standalone?video=/freevideo/csco_642_902_02.mp4
  • Options
    angel.oaangel.oa Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    alxx wrote: »
    2501's are only okay for frame relay use . For less money you can get a few 1721's, a few wics, cables etc

If you plan to go beyond ccna, they won't be much use at all(other than frame relay).

Other option is to buy a few switches 2-3 2950's , 1-2 3550's and use gsn3 for the routers
    and get a quad or couple of dual port network cards for your pc.

2501 can't do frame relay (i think you meant to say 252x)
    Currently reading :study:

Routing TCP/IP, Volume 1 (2nd Edition)
    Implementing Cisco IP Routing (ROUTE) Foundation Learning Guide
    JNCIA - Junos Study Guide - Parts 1 & 2
  • Options
    yes.

Didn't look closely enough at TechExams.Net CCNA TechLab: Configuring Frame Relay