Crappy Managers

NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
Guess we all had this managers that doesnt even know where they are....they got like zero knowledge in tech stuff...

For my luck all my managers in the work i had they all know what they are doing, they do their management thing but when you cannot solve something for example my actual manager he does know a lot of what we are doing, if we don't have time and he does have time to do some installation he do it himself to help us... he is awesome tho..

But i have meet other managers for example a client we got... he does soo much money and he doesnt know anything he is soo clueless and actually makes me mad how he can does soo much money doesn't knowing anything? hahahah not even really really REALLY basic troublshooting... all he does is being there with the phone and when something doesnt work for any reason it is he doesnt make his technicians to check whats wrong noooo he call all his providers telling them that it doesnt work and its our job to fix it free of charge hahahahhahahaha i mean come on... i will tell you one...
He call us and tell us that this networking device is not working, and he doesnt know what is it and it sucks he says(in other words but thats what he means) and we should fix it right away.... as he do buy lot of stuff to us my manager told me to help him, i went there and guess what? the device was disconnected... was unplug... and then i tell him its unplug thats why it doesnt work... and he tells me ahhh Right! i was accommodating the cables in that rack(its a mini rack which is on the wall) and i guess i disconnected it and didnt reconnect it again...
Ah yeah i asked him if the device was on before everything and he said it was hahahahaha.
For those stupid things he call his providers i mean this is just one... i have soo many just from that dude... and they are all hilarious...
Just so you can know how much he does.. well in the US his salary would be something around 80k or 90k... how can someone get that kind of salary being like that? jeezes! it just make me mad...
I ask that to my manager and he just laugh and tells me
Well he does do job? yes or no? at the end everything gets fixed yes or no??? and i reply yes but in what way.....

Anyone got histories of crappy managers?

Comments

• dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have noticed that it seems the people who are not good at their jobs get promoted or shifted into the positions where they can do the least amount of damage, usually management. Engineers who are good at what they do get stuck in that position because they are too valuable. I have seen this happen many times. I have also seen many good managers as well, they're not all bad.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168
    Classic Peter Principle
  • NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dtlokee wrote: »
    I have noticed that it seems the people who are not good at their jobs get promoted or shifted into the positions where they can do the least amount of damage, usually management. Engineers who are good at what they do get stuck in that position because they are too valuable. I have seen this happen many times. I have also seen many good managers as well, they're not all bad.

True that but if someone crappy get promoted with better salary than iam to be a manager, or my manager ill start loooking for another job... becasue its not fair... i would be really mad i guess if that happens. I mean cause im really valuable i will not get promoted and ill have the same salary wth :P
  • fredmoogiefredmoogie Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    when u have a non-technical manager that has no ppl skill, no common sense, think he knows it all when in fact is it the opposite.

when i try to explain anything technical and to most it's common sense, but to him..he does not believe me....he always ask me to prove it by showing him an internet link

me: 1+1=2...common sense, basic arithmetic
    him: maybe it's common sense to u, but not to everyone....show me a link that proves this

wat a freaking idiot icon_rolleyes.gif
  • drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    I deal with the same sh** on a daily basis... almost all day actually - every day...
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    fredmoogie wrote: »
    when u have a non-technical manager that has no ppl skill, no common sense, think he knows it all when in fact is it the opposite.

when i try to explain anything technical and to most it's common sense, but to him..he does not believe me....he always ask me to prove it by showing him an internet link

me: 1+1=2...common sense, basic arithmetic
    him: maybe it's common sense to u, but not to everyone....show me a link that proves this

wat a freaking idiot icon_rolleyes.gif

HA! I worked for this guy or his evil twin. Except that his tag line was "Don't look it up online. Call (insert vendor here) and ask them".
  • drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    In the Managers defense:

An Organization (IT/ISP whatever) tries to standardize processes as much as possible where they can get vendor support unconditionally. This is including but not limited to: Best Practice, Tools referenced by the vendor and utilizing vendor approved fixes (no hacks).

I remember working for a company where we could have used a different tool to do some active directory work however because the tool we were using was MS it could be supported even though it was limited.
  • CoolhandlukeCoolhandluke Member Posts: 118
    When I started my current job, I installed VNC on one of our Windows 2000 servers in a different building (my bosses office). A day or so later we had a power cut in another part of the building (where I was based) and after that he could no longer access the server in question locally. He went mad telling me that the VNC connection caused the electricity to jumped over the network (through 5 switches) and fry the server. I was lmao. In the end it was a faulty graphics card.

managers ...... if nothing else they always keep me entertained
    [CCENT]->[CCNA]->[CCNP-ROUTE]->COLOR=#0000ff]CCNP SWITCH[/COLOR->[CCNP-TSHOOT]
    When I started my current job, I installed VNC on one of our Windows 2000 servers in a different building (my bosses office). A day or so later we had a power cut in another part of the building (where I was based) and after that he could no longer access the server in question locally. He went mad telling me that the VNC connection caused the electricity to jumped over the network (through 5 switches) and fry the server. I was lmao. In the end it was a faulty graphics card.

managers ...... if nothing else they always keep me entertained
    hahah that one was hilarous :P
    Well i was just talking witha friend of mine and she was tellng me one that was reallly hilarous
    She said she got a call from a manager of a bank, reporing that he could not access to a switch through console, she was like really? thats weird i can see it remotely and everything seeems fine... are you putting it 9600 etc etc and he was like yes!

Anyways she wentther and askedhim what does not work?
    he was like look i just get a black screen and she pushed enter, and he was like OMG!!!! thanks!!!!! there is the prompt!
    What a waste of time...
    LMAO....
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah I think we've all dealt with a manager like that at some point or another. I always find that the business type managers are the ones that get under my skin the most. But, to their defense, I'm not a business guy and will probably never fully understand that side. I can say that in the past two years I have truly learned why best practice exists and why it needs to be followed. Nothing worse then taking a shortcut or jerry rigging a fix to get something to work and then have it fail shortly after, at least if you follow best practice you can rest easy knowing that it is probably a vendor issue that has a hope of being resolved without starting from scratch.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Sadly I can't comment too much on crappy managers. I've 'managed' to fall into two jobs in the last 4 years with 3 great managers that know how to treat me and know how to actually manage. They are the diamonds in the rough and they are the ones that you when you find you stick with because if you show your worth to them, they might carry you with them as they rise.
  • shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Bad managers make a job miserable, especially when the job itself is inherently high stress. There is no excuse for just putting them in a position that allows you to do damage control. All you are accomplishing by doing that is **** everyone underneath that person off and indirectly telling the awful manager that his/her performance is acceptable. Your employee turnover will soon go through the roof and depending on the size and function of the organization, could have have a massive impact on the bottom line through a variety of means. If you come from an environment like one that I was recently in where bad managers are being managed by even worse managers, they won't even realize why everyone is leaving.
    :study: