Options

OSI vs TCP/IP models

normtnormt Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
Bit confused to how these map to one another for the exam as there seems to be debate whether there is 4 or 5 TCP/IP layers...

Accoroding to Richard Deal`s book ...

OSI TCP/IP

Application -
Presentation-
Session - Application
Transport - Transport
Network - Internet
Data Link - Data Link
Physical - Physical

Any clarity on this for the exam?
Elvis Lives!!! Thank you very much!!!

Comments

• Options
    yang11yang11 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    3-1-1-2

apps
    |
    present
    |
    session
    | those 3 map to TCP/IP apps

transport
    transport

network
    internet

datalink
    those two map to network access layer
    physical

to be corrected.//
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    Look at it this way. The OSI and TCP/IP models are 2 completely different models. There is no 7 layer TCP/IP model, only the 4 layer model, and there is no 4 layer OSI model, only 7 layers. While all of the protocls that make the TCP/IP model fit into the OSI model, they are 2 different standards. The OSI model was envisioned to be the network protocols of choice. So instead of your computer using TCP/IP to network, it would use OSI protocols. The OSI standard was defeated by TCP/IP. You wont find many OSI specific protocols used if any at all today. Kinda makes you wonder why they even bring the OSI model up.

Any book or source you found that says there is a 5 layer model is discredible. Anyone can make a model, heck even a 10 layer model if they wanted to, but its not an agreed upon and recognized standard, thats the difference.

And the above post translates the layer comparisons right. ALso google - TCP/IP model versus OSI model - and you should find some good articles that give the background of ISO and DARPA/DoD.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    normtnormt Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cheers for the advice, 4 seems to be cisco`s interpretation...
    Elvis Lives!!! Thank you very much!!!
  • Options
    ziggyziggy Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    :) someone correct me if I am wrong, but it was explained to me like this.....

The OSI Model is a learning model/reference tool

The TCP/IP Model is an actual working model
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    ziggy wrote:
    :) someone correct me if I am wrong, but it was explained to me like this.....

The OSI Model is a learning model/reference tool

The TCP/IP Model is an actual working model

Sounds right, how it was explained to me as well. I use this to help define how stacks relate.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    my_id_0308my_id_0308 Member Posts: 171
    wow Ricka182..that is a really good explanation..i love the facts that is place together in a picture form or a table..make its a lot easier to understand thanks Ricka182
  • Options
    ConfoundedBridgeConfoundedBridge Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Recognize the TCP/IP Transport layer as Host-to-Host. I don't know if Cisco ever does, but I've seen it referenced that way quite a bit.

Also, don't confuse the TCP/IP Network Access layer with the OSI's L3.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    This image, from my OSI model TechNotes for the CCNA exam, shows the relation between the TCP/IP DoD model and the OSI model:

dod_vs_osi.gif