Starting my CCNP Journey...

poguepogue Member Posts: 213
Hello All,

I have asked a few questions in here, but have not formally introduced myself...

I just got laid off from my job a few weeks ago, where I was working with a solution that combined multiple Network Management Systems (NMS) together, (SNMP, Net Flow, syslogging, etc..) and where I was also responsible for the company's network infrastructure.

My CCNA runs out sometime in May and I have enough money saved up to potentially be out of work for a year, even though I am actively looking for positions. I started my CCNP ROUTE studies off and on for a month or two before I got my pink slip, but have ramped up the study time significantly after I lost my job. I have went on a few job interviews since I lost my job, and had what I felt were VERY positive feedback, but had a shortage of knowledge in certain areas required (Policy Based Routing, 802.1x) that I felt directly cost me these positions. Most of what I missed the boat on would have been addressed had I gotten my CCNP about 6 months earlier.

I have both the FLG and OCG, and am approaching about 470 pages through the FLG. My first impression is that both guides have their advantages. The FLG seems to repeat a lot of information on each subject, whereas I am more of a person who prefers condensed communication, but the FLG does give a very thorough coverage of all the subjects.

I am running GNS3 for my lab right now, and just got in two 3550's off Ebay for when I am ready to start the SWITCH studies. I have the CBT Nuggets course for the ROUTE exam, and have been going through the GNS3 labwork that is provided with the course. At this point, I am not sure how closely the CBT Nuggets practice labs correspond to the actual CCNP ROUTE exam.

One thing I can honestly say, is that I have never failed a certification exam, but looking back, I think that is becaused I haven't challenged myself enough, and tried to move upwards into professional level certifications. The CCNP ROUTE is certainly the most challenging material I have come across in my studies so far, so wish me luck. I am going to attempt to take the exam sometime in the first part of January 2012, with SWITCH studies starting immediately afterwards if I am successful.

I feel that there are certain subjects I will have to revisit towards the end of my study cycle, (OSPF, Redistribution) but fortunately, I have had some experience with some of the network management technologies, such as net flow, IP-SLA, and SNMP, which I am starting to see in the study guide, so hopefully they will not require as much study time.

All in all, losing my job was a bummer, but I am trying to stay positive and put in a solid couple of hours study per day.

Russ
Currently working on: CCNA:Security
Up next: CCNA:Voice

Comments

• poguepogue Member Posts: 213
    Yesterday I switched back to the CCNP ROUTE OCG..

I guess I am a fellow who likes to have information communicated in a tight, efficient manner. I was reading the FLG, but felt that information was being repeated too much and that some of the concepts were self evident, and no need to spend an extra 2-3 pages on certain topics. In day to day social life, I am much the same way. desiring the people I communicate with to "get to the point". Does that make me a bad person? icon_smile.gif

After switching back to the OCG, I was getting through more material, and feeling that I was actually grasping the gist of the technology better.

I know there has been a little back and forth about the OCG vs the FLG, but I guess it depends on what kind of learner one is, and their aptitude for certain subjects.

Russ
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Both the FLG and the OCG are needed IMHO to really mesh the material together and pass ROUTE.

The three magic words to passing route after you have worked through both the OCG and FLG are:

Lab - Use the free Cisco NetAcademy lab manual several times and you will pass any sim on ROUTE
    Configure - Use the memory tables in the OCG to memorize config commands as well as the options that go with each
    Verify - Use the memory tables in the OCG to memorize verification commands as well as the options that go with each

If you spend enough time reading material on the CCNP and on Cisco's website, you will start to notice an underlying theme of configuration and verification in just about everything. Pay close attention to configuration and verification as they make up the foundation of the CCNP. Finally, spend a couple of days studying everything you can get your hands on as it relates to implementation and verification plans. I would highly recommend Boson ExSIM max practice test for ROUTE if you can afford it.

Be sure and check out the thread on free CCNP study materials...there are a ton of gems in there icon_smile.gif

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp/71743-free-study-materials.html
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
    Started my lab practice today.. I got through the second chapter on IPv6 in the OCG and felt my time right now would be better spent labbing, and plan on going back and hitting weak points if there are things I do not understand during labwork. As of right now, i am shooting for a mid-January test date.

Right now, I am using the Cisco Academy CCNP ROUTE Lab Workbook. Everything seems fairly straight forward right now, but the workbook does clarify and reinforce numerous concepts, so I think it will be very helpful..

Russ
  • Packet-JockeyPacket-Jockey Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Best of luck mate, im in a similar situation. Got the bullitt end of Nov. Gonna take switch early Jan. Have a 7mth old so study time is limited, but does mean im more focused when I can hit the books/labs. Keep us updated!
  • ptlinvaptlinva Member Posts: 125
    I can relate... I got the pink slip almost two years ago and have been working through FieldNations and OnForce to almost make my fulltime income. I've done 50+ router/T1 installations and love doing field work but I'm really ready to settle down.

Here's something that might give you a goal to keep studying... There was a CCIE that was working on a team I was on and he was making $200/hour!

Talk about making me want to study EVERY chance I can get... :)

Good Luck... and yes, you are a bad person... okay, just joking... you are not a bad person. Every one is different and you'll definately find out what works for you.

Keep us updated!

Your Cisco friend in Virginia,
    Paul
    UPDATE:

I was just informed by a recruiter I was working with that General Dynamics IT Division loved me in an interview I had with them last week, and that I would be extended an offer sometime in the next week. I already know the offer will be in the 93K range, which is good pay, but unfortunately, the job is 70% travel, upgrading Immigration and Naturalization Service computer and network systems. The travel is gonna suck, but it will stop the drain on my bank account.

The offer will be extended for either an Orlando (we live about an hour away) or Seattle (my wife's sister lives about an hour away) home base, and the job would be starting around the first of February, after my security clearance investigation goes through. This also gives me time to finish my CCNP ROUTE exam. Yay all around!

Good news that takes a lot of stress off me. We had a mini vacation planned to Indiana to attend a big pocket billiards event, and the job even works with that schedule... I consider myself a lucky dude, considering the state of the economy right now..

Russ
  • ShanmanShanman Member Posts: 223
    Congrats on the job! I know the travel is going to suck but seeing your bank account not depleting is a big positive!

Just think.. Now you have the luxury to be a little more picky for your next position.
  • sieffsieff Member Posts: 276
    Congrats on the new job. I love travel, per diem is a cool perk. I save a lot of coin when I'm on the road. You may even go to some awesome cities.
    "The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." from the poem: The Ladder of St. Augustine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • ssavoyssavoy Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The best of luck in your studies. I can relate to your hardship because I have gone through rough times myself in the past.

I believe the FLG goes into allot more depth because it was meant for a curriculum environment. I think the FLG is a great all around reference, and the OCG is great for to the point test prep. If you really want the nitty grity then read the FLG... if you just want to pass the exam then use the OCG.

I did all of my studies using dynamips/GNS3 and 2950 x 2, 3550 x 2

Oh, and I will always recommend CBT Nuggets. Jeremy is a excellent trainer.

Good Luck!
  • asoftasoft Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on your job and good luck!

CCNP Route is very tough among all three CCNP exams, and once you clear Route, you are half-way though for all practical purposes.

Check out Certexams.com CCNP Route 642-902 practice tests.
  • kmcintosh78kmcintosh78 Member Posts: 195
    That is great. Good to hear.
    Good luck and keep us posted on the CCNP status.
    I will be starting mine in the next several weeks or so.
    What I am working on
    CCNP Route (Currently) 80% done
    CCNP Switch (Next Year)
    CCNP TShoot (Next Year)
  • ddcengineerddcengineer Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the job offer! Good luck to you.
    I personally chose to do Route first because I heard that it is the toughest of the 3 (and yes it was a very difficult exam). I'm now moved onto Switch and think it's smooth sailing from here.
    Achievements: CCNA Nov 2011 | CCNP Route Jan 2012 | Switch June 2012 | TSHOOT July 2012 CCNP | CCNA Voice Oct
    Projected Timeline: CCNP Voice CVoice Oct | CIPT1 Nov | CIPT2 Dec | TVoice Jan | CApps Feb :cheers:
  • CiscoCertsCiscoCerts Member Posts: 112
    Congrats on the job, that's what I would consider sick pay! :D
  • NetworkPeteNetworkPete Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can I ask, what is FLG and OCG?
  • angel.oaangel.oa Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can I ask, what is FLG and OCG?

FLG - Foundation Learning Guide

OCG - Official Certification Guide
    Currently reading :study:

Routing TCP/IP, Volume 1 (2nd Edition)
    Implementing Cisco IP Routing (ROUTE) Foundation Learning Guide
    JNCIA - Junos Study Guide - Parts 1 & 2
  • alerurialeruri Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the job offer. Having a job that relates to what you are studying is great.

I would like to share my experience as well.

I am also on my quest to get the CCNP, however, I also have a full time job (as a network engineer) and I am also in my first year of my part-time PhD ( I know I am crazy).

Right now I am getting ready for the ROUTE exam. I have finished the OCG, done all the ROUTE labs on GNS3 and watched the CBt nuggets. I am having a hard time with the OSPF areas (nssa, etc...) and the LSA types.

My goal is to get my CCIE and my PhD in around five years. Let see if I can do that before I die...

Cisco exams are really hard but this one in particular looks harder to me that my other three (CCNA R&S, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice). That's maybe because it is not a CCNA :).

Anyway, congrats again and keep focused.

Aleruri