CCNA Security next?

altjxaltjx Member Posts: 194
Good morning all,

I passed my CCNA last Wednesday, and I plan to hold off on certs for another year two to get more job experience instead of rushing with certs. I've been studying for 4-5 months for the ICND1 and ICND2 and passed both on the first try. Now it feels weird not studying for anything. I've heard people say that CCNA was a little tougher than CCNA Security since there was so much information being introduced, but how true is this?

I was considering maybe reading up on CCNA Security and just pretty much master the material until I'm ready to take the test maybe in a year or two. Just need something productive to do with my time. Any suggestions on whether this cert is worth starting to read up on now and if it's harder than CCNA?
CompTIA: A+, Security+, Network+
Microsoft: MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring
Cisco: CCENT, CCNA

Comments

• drumrolfedrumrolfe Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    From my experience, the CCNA: Security was a much easier exam than the CCNA. Good Luck!
  • altjxaltjx Member Posts: 194
    drumrolfe wrote: »
    From my experience, the CCNA: Security was a much easier exam than the CCNA. Good Luck!

Nice, glad to hear this :D. Thank you!
    Microsoft: MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    altjx wrote: »
    Good morning all,

I passed my CCNA last Wednesday, and I plan to hold off on certs for another year two to get more job experience instead of rushing with certs. I've been studying for 4-5 months for the ICND1 and ICND2 and passed both on the first try. Now it feels weird not studying for anything. I've heard people say that CCNA was a little tougher than CCNA Security since there was so much information being introduced, but how true is this?

I was considering maybe reading up on CCNA Security and just pretty much master the material until I'm ready to take the test maybe in a year or two. Just need something productive to do with my time. Any suggestions on whether this cert is worth starting to read up on now and if it's harder than CCNA?

1. If you've already done the CCNA, then the CCNA:Security is not much preparation to achieve. It's a review of CCNA level topics. Just make sure to lab everything, and you should be more than prepared for it.

2. If you're going to slow down on certs for the next year or two, some recommended reading in the meantime:
    - Network Warrior
    - TCP/IP Guide (Some swear by TCP/IP Illustrated, but I've not read it, so I can't vouch for it)
    - Routing TCP/IP Volume I and II
    - Cisco Firewalls
    - techexams.net :D
    - service best practices
    - Industry forum for your area of interest

(Of course, this is assuming you're getting more into Infrastructure. If you're getting more into Servers, still read the TCP/IP Guide/best practices/industry forum type of stuff, and substitute with other more appropriate information.)
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
    instant000 wrote: »
    1. If you've already done the CCNA, then the CCNA:Security is not much preparation to achieve. It's a review of CCNA level topics. Just make sure to lab everything, and you should be more than prepared for it.

2. If you're going to slow down on certs for the next year or two, some recommended reading in the meantime:
    - Network Warrior
    - TCP/IP Guide (Some swear by TCP/IP Illustrated, but I've not read it, so I can't vouch for it)
    - Routing TCP/IP Volume I and II
    - Cisco Firewalls
    - techexams.net :D
    - service best practices
    - Industry forum for your area of interest

(Of course, this is assuming you're getting more into Infrastructure. If you're getting more into Servers, still read the TCP/IP Guide/best practices/industry forum type of stuff, and substitute with other more appropriate information.)

Much appreciated. I'll check out those topics.
  • skwira001skwira001 Member Posts: 94 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CCNA Security is an excellent next step. They offer the Cisco Networking Academy for it. The final exam is very similar to the actual certification.
  • iDShaDoWiDShaDoW Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, I'm in the same boat and sorry for thread hi-jacking (lemme know if you want me to delete this post and start my own thread lol)

Would it be better maybe for me to work towards the MCSA (ie. Server 2008 and Active Directory exams) and then get the CCNA: Security later on down the line (which would then renew the CCNA when it's closer to expiration)?

Just completed my Bachelors in IT and will be able to put CCNA on my resume before sending it out to some people I met through school that might help me find work. Good way to end the 2011 year if I do say so myself. :P

Now to spend next year gaining experience, a new certification or 2, and paying off my student loans.
    iDShaDoW wrote: »
    Congrats, I'm in the same boat and sorry for thread hi-jacking (lemme know if you want me to delete this post and start my own thread lol)

Would it be better maybe for me to work towards the MCSA (ie. Server 2008 and Active Directory exams) and then get the CCNA: Security later on down the line (which would then renew the CCNA when it's closer to expiration)?

Just completed my Bachelors in IT and will be able to put CCNA on my resume before sending it out to some people I met through school that might help me find work. Good way to end the 2011 year if I do say so myself. :P

Now to spend next year gaining experience, a new certification or 2, and paying off my student loans.

Nice, I'm actually in the process (as we speak) of reviewing and signing some papers to finish my last 2 years for my BS in IT as well. I thought the MCSA was like an older MCITP?
  • iDShaDoWiDShaDoW Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Oh yea, you're right. My brain is just fried from all the finals I had the last couple weeks then diving right into topping off my studies for the CCNA.

Seems like I'll have to dig around the Microsoft sections of this forum to find out since it seems like the MCITP: Enterprise Administrator would be the equivalent of the MCSA. Microsoft's site does a poor job of explaining the transition to the new certifications...
    iDShaDoW wrote: »
    Oh yea, you're right. My brain is just fried from all the finals I had the last couple weeks then diving right into topping off my studies for the CCNA.

Seems like I'll have to dig around the Microsoft sections of this forum to find out since it seems like the MCITP: Enterprise Administrator would be the equivalent of the MCSA. Microsoft's site does a poor job of explaining the transition to the new certifications...

Yeah, I think the EA is equivalent and I agree. I'm holding off on my next certification for awhile. I'm not even doing anything CCNA related at work, just studied so I'll be prepared when I do. Might not be using it for another few months sadly.
  • effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
    MCITP:SA = MCSA
    MCITP:EA = MCSE

I am currently working towards my CCNA and once done will need to make a decision of either CCNA:Security or jump to CCNP. I'm interested in specializing in Security and hopefully doing the WGU Security minded degree so I will probably knock out CCNA:Security first.