Options

No CCNA Should I study CCNP

nbeachamnbeacham Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
This may seem like a weird question, but here it goes. I don't have my CCNA simply because I don't have the funds to sit the exam just yet. I'm confident I know the material and that I would pass, but coming up with the extra $250 is hard to do in these times. Would it benefit me to start my studies on CCNP as that's the route I plan on going after the CCNA? I'm don't want to muddy my CCNA waters with to much material, but at the same time I think it might give me a heads up. I'm going to go for the CCNA with my tax return, but in the interim I don't want to stop learning.

Comments

• Options
    poguepogue Member Posts: 213
    Well, You can definitely study the CCNP ROUTE material, as all that is required is GNS3/Dynamips and a decent computer, but when you get to the SWITCH studies, that will require investing in some more equipment, or buying rack time, which might be a little costly for you now.

That being said, go to this site, Discount Test Vouchers for A+ Certification Microsoft Certification from GetCertify4Less and sign up for notifications of when the CCNA vouchers go on sale, and you might get lucky and get a less expensive voucher. (But prob not by much).

Keep in mind, the CCNA is a prerequisite for any CCNP level test, so before you put a bunch of time into the CCNP studies, you want to make sure you pass the CCNA. It would not be cool to spend 2-3 months studying for the ROUTE exam, only to fail the CCNA by a few points because you are rusty.

Good luck!

Russ
    Currently working on: CCNA:Security
    Up next: CCNA:Voice
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Studying the CCNP material won't muddy the waters on the CCNA material. If anything, it will just make it more clear. Of course, I'd still advise at least glancing over the material before going in for the CCNA, if only to make sure you don't end up missing something obvious just because you weren't ready for an easy question.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    Agreed that SWITCH will require a load of equipment that I simply can't afford. What I may end up doing is just digging deeper into CCNA Material as someone else had suggested and really hammering it in. I have 4+ years experience working for a service provider and believe I have a firm understanding of the CCNA Topics.
  • Options
    RickRandhawaRickRandhawa Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have two thoughts on this...

Make sure that the reason you're not taking the CCNA right now is really a financial one, and not because you're just scared to sit the exam. For me, I had not taken a test like this in a very long time and I came up with all kinds of creative reasons not to take my CCNA...mainly because I never felt truly ready. It ended up costing me quite a bit of time. If you can come up with the money, I'd just sit the exam. It's much easier to move forward with the CCNA under your belt...its a great momentum/confidence builder.

If your truly cannot take the CCNA right now, then I'd move on to CCNP, no point in sitting around and waiting. Delve into the topics that you covered on your CCNA first, as it's more of the same stuff, just goes a bit deeper. These topics would include EIGRP, OSPF, and IPv6. I'd wait on the BGP and Route Distribution until the end as these won't be covered at all on CCNA.
  • Options
    My reason truly is financial, Just had my third child 4 months ago and am the only one generating income in my household so it makes things difficult. Every time I seem to have the funds, something comes up. What I plan on doing is making sure every area i'm fuzzy on in the CCNA material gets touched first. I know i'm hazy on NAT configuration and some WAN technologies, mostly frame relay.
  • Options
    RickRandhawaRickRandhawa Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Forgot to add...

If you cannot swing both, I'd at least try and go sit the ICND 1 since it'd only be $125.
  • Options
    nbeacham wrote: »
    Agreed that SWITCH will require a load of equipment that I simply can't afford. What I may end up doing is just digging deeper into CCNA Material as someone else had suggested and really hammering it in. I have 4+ years experience working for a service provider and believe I have a firm understanding of the CCNA Topics.

Are you still working for this service provider? Will they not reimburse the cost of the exam?

If so.. Heck, I might even take out a small loan in order to be able to take the exam if I knew for sure I would pass...

Russ
  • Options
    I just recently stopped working for them, they did reimburse. My new employer does not, they are a service WISP, a small one.
  • Options
    nbeacham wrote: »
    I just recently stopped working for them, they did reimburse. My new employer does not, they are a service WISP, a small one.

I know the economy is tough, but I would be looking for another job ASAP, because any company that is not even willing to pay an additional $500-$600 a year to reimburse employee certifications doesn't much care about its workers, nor the actual quality of the work they put out.

Russ
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    There are pros and cons to this, I think the pros outweigh the cons but consider this

Make sure, for example, that you don't get so deep into the complexities of something like EIGRP that you forget the basics.

Anyway, I hope you get the funds soon to at least get your CCENT. Be sure to go over the basics again before you try it.

Best of luck in this tough economy!