Options

T1 Layer 2 Addressing name?

dan87951dan87951 Member Posts: 107
What is the layer 2 addressing name of a T1 circuit? I know there is a acroynm out there for it but for the life of me cannot find it anywhere.
Anyone know it?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Circuit ID, MAC address?
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    PPP, HDLC, or Frame Relay.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I suspect he's looking for layer 2 to layer 3 address mapping, and I suspect it's in the context of frame relay, so I'm betting he's looking for DLCI
  • Options
    dan87951dan87951 Member Posts: 107
    service access point identifier? Could this be it? The T1 circuits I set up were all PPP.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    dan87951 wrote: »
    service access point identifier? Could this be it? The T1 circuits I set up were all PPP.

PPP doesn't do any layer 2 addressing. It doesn't need it, it's a point to point link. By definition, the traffic only has one place to go, to the other side of the link, so no layer 2 addressing is necessary.
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    PPP doesn't do any layer 2 addressing. It doesn't need it, it's a point to point link. By definition, the traffic only has one place to go, to the other side of the link, so no layer 2 addressing is necessary.

LOL. I didn't even consider addressing. I just threw some layer 2 encapsulations out there. Good call. I'm leaning toward DLCI myself.