Options

70-680 Didn't pass it

hfxrockhfxrock Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I recently found out that I will be losing my job over the christmas holidays and my employer would pay for my exam, if I pass before the end date. Yesterday I got a call from another company offering me a position and as part of that offer they are telling me that if I write 6 Microsoft exams that each exam I pass they would give me a 2% raise. Great deal!

Besides all of the stress with losing my job I kept the exam date and studied the Exam Cram 2 book, Skillport, CBT Nuggets and the professor videos on youtube.

Overall I thought I did good, they even asked me questions about Powershell which through me off a bit but I haven't written a cert (A+) since 2003 so I was a bit rusty, where I was testing was VERY noisy and I figued I was locked in this room or something. I have been in IT for a long time, never wrote a cert because I could never afford it. A lot of the questions had over 15 choices! a bit crazy!

I knew not to change any of my answers, what did I do? changed some of my answers! I kind of feel stupid with a score of 525. I feel like hiding in a cave in embarassment.

I plan on writing it again, sometime icon_neutral.gif

- Jeff

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    hfxrock wrote: »
    I recently found out that I will be losing my job over the christmas holidays and my employer would pay for my exam, if I pass before the end date. Yesterday I got a call from another company offering me a position and as part of that offer they are telling me that if I write 6 Microsoft exams that each exam I pass they would give me a 2% raise. Great deal!

Besides all of the stress with losing my job I kept the exam date and studied the Exam Cram 2 book, Skillport, CBT Nuggets and the professor videos on youtube.

Overall I thought I did good, they even asked me questions about Powershell which through me off a bit but I haven't written a cert (A+) since 2003 so I was a bit rusty, where I was testing was VERY noisy and I figued I was locked in this room or something. I have been in IT for a long time, never wrote a cert because I could never afford it. A lot of the questions had over 15 choices! a bit crazy!

I knew not to change any of my answers, what did I do? changed some of my answers! I kind of feel stupid with a score of 525. I feel like hiding in a cave in embarassment.

I plan on writing it again, sometime icon_neutral.gif

- Jeff

Make sure your intentions are for the right reason. Remember cost is not just monetary. So just because you get free exams doesn't mean it's good value overall. Sure financially it is, but time and confidence can be lost. So make sure to want to pass the exam for the right reasons whatever those may be.

And good luck.
  • Options
    DaysOfNoahDaysOfNoah Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don't give up Jeff -next time try Don Poulton (Pearson) and MS-Press. Latest MS-Press has many errata fixed. Those are what I would use. Maybe read Poulton's book more deeply, and then lightly read through MS-Press looking for additional command-lines, etc. I just posted another post with a lot more detail. It is a HARD exam, don't take it personally.
    "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you!" (James 4:8 )

"And this eternal life that they know You, the only true God and Jesus Christ whom You have sent!" (Jesus, John 17:3)

See for yourself: God is real! There is a big difference between religion and relationship. God is inviting you into relationship where you know Him, hear His voice, and share your heart with Him.

Why not sincerely ask:
    "God, if You are real, I want to know You"
  • Options
    stiltnerstiltner Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm taking mine tomorrow morning. I've read about a lot of failures on this test. It concerned me. But I went through the Trainsignal training, and I previously had the 70-680 books from MS Press and one other (not Don's book) and I also scanned Don's book recently.

Basically, with my almost 3 years I been using Win7 + my understanding of what I didn't know previoiusly. I'm expecting to go in there and knock it out of the park.

6 months ago, I would tell you I was going to fail miserably. Keep the right mindset, go back and study. I spent a lot of money in my studying, but I'm determined 100% to get there. You will too, stand up, dust off. You'll get it :)
  • Options
    stiltnerstiltner Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    And since I'm a man with honor. I walked in there today with confidence and pizzaz, and I walked out with a score sheet with Fail on top of it. :p

Its the 6th test I've taken and the first one I've failed. So, its a good life lesson. I know now where I stand on things (I stunk up one section so bad I think it was rotten) :)

Passing Score: 700, Me: I don't think a bucket of stones would have got me within a stones throw.

Things I can recall. A lot of questions on commandline procedures and preperation, sysprep, imagex, etc etc. If you don't know it, go back over it, when you think you know it (as I did) then study it again cause you don't.

No worries, I knew I wasn't going to stay perfect in my testing, I'll be back shortly and I'll get there. Its only time and money, and thankfully I'm blessed with having both of those available to me to enhance my learning