Options

The unspoken truth about managing geeks

Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

Comments

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Very good read, thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Mc5ullyMc5ully Banned Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This article is amazing. It puts words to what I've witnessed working in small to medium size IT depts over the last 5 years.

It also explains why I'm so unhappy at my current job.

Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    bryanthetechiebryanthetechie Member Posts: 172
    Man, what a fantastic article... I learned a lot of lessons the hard way when starting out as a new manager of data analysts, and most of those hard lessons could have been avoided if I had been the type of manager that I would have wanted as an IT geek vs. the type of manager that the business thought they wanted for my group. I learned much of the approach that this article takes over time to much better results. +1 for the link.
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Good read
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    "When hiring an IT pro, imagine you're recruiting a doctor. And if you're hiring a CIO, think of employing a chief of medicine. The chief of medicine should have many qualifications, but first and foremost, he should be a practicing doctor."

This.

Its amazing to me how many executives in IT get their jobs because of experience in management and an MBA, yet have no clue when it comes to technology.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Amazing.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    Wow.. i'm going to forward this to my boss
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    drkat wrote: »
    Wow.. i'm going to forward this to my boss

Yeah I went back to do the same, hopefully he doesn't take it the wrong way. :P When I was doing this, I noticed this article is actually 2 years old. Obviously still relevant, I just didn't notice that the 1st time I looked at it, thought it was a new article.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good article (haven't finished). Came to comment after I read this:
    I think every good IT pro on the planet idolizes Dr. House (minus the addictions).

Very true in my case. I've privately made the connection between diagnostic medicine and IT in the past.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Really good article. Gonna send this out to my co-workers tomorrow.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    True story. Management at my place has gone nuts and is trying to structure everything and shove everyone into a box. They wonder why everyone is leaving. The worst thing in the world you can do is try to manage people smarter than you. Yes business folks, every single person in the IT department is smarter than you. Get over it and listen. If you can do that you will save a lot of money and you will make even more of it.

/rant
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    True story. Management at my place has gone nuts and is trying to structure everything and shove everyone into a box. They wonder why everyone is leaving. The worst thing in the world you can do is try to manage people smarter than you. Yes business folks, every single person in the IT department is smarter than you. Get over it and listen. If you can do that you will save a lot of money and you will make even more of it.

/rant

Plenty of people manage people who are smarter than them. Its just a matter of accepting it and everybody getting the best of it. Just cause your smarter doesn't mean management can't have good ideas. A smarter person may just have more ideas or come up with a ideas quicker. Does that mean they can't be in charge??? Of course not, my wife runs circles around me in intelligence, but in any crisis situation we have or things that have to be solved quickly she always wants me at the helm. Now thats just one example, but you can't put off management cause a few guys are smarter thats not fair.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related