Options

Verizon May Abandon FiOS TV and Internet

hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
According to this link, Lame: Verizon is abandoning its FiOS TV & internet service to pursue wireless partnerships

I tried googling another related articles, but I can't find them. So I am not convinced yet, but the thought of it is quite scary. Don't you agree? My parent's a FiOS customer, and I like their service so far. They were much better than our previous provider.

While I was searching for related articles, I found bunch of other article headlines talking about potential acquisition or merger between NetFlix and Verizon, which I thought was interesting too.

Comments

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Interesting that any cable company would switch to including Verizon services into their packages. Excluding the cellular service, most cable companies already offer that kind of stuff in "Triple play" bundles, etc.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well damn. They made a pretty sizable and aggressive investment into FIOS the last few years. Not a customer, but I was hoping to switch if the service ever became available here.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    In New Jersey alone they spent billions to break into the market so I don't suspect they will just pull out. We've been with them for about 3 years now and I've literally only had 3 issues in that entire time. One did leave us without tv, internet, and phone for three days though. I think what kills them, at least in New Jersey, is that the home techs are in the same union (IBEW) as the business techs. Once 5 pm rolls around those guys are done for the day, thus if it is a wiring issue you are SOL. I know the Comcast techs in my area are attempting to get into the IBEW and if that happens Comcast will be in trouble. Say what you like about the service, but Comcast rolls a truck pretty fast if there are issues.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    I know the Comcast techs in my area are attempting to get into the IBEW and if that happens Comcast will be in trouble. Say what you like about the service, but Comcast rolls a truck pretty fast if there are issues.

Depends on the area. I had Comcast in Jersey City, and because there was a little bit of snow on the roof, the POS technician (an no, not Point-of-Sale....this guy was a scumbag) told me I had to wait a couple of days. I had to ream Comcast a new one to get them to send me another technician the next day [there was not that much snow...it was literally a tiny bit, this guy was just lazy.] Also, I don't know if it's still the case, but this guy was a subcontractor...meaning he wasn't a Comcast employee.

I would never live in a place in NJ that was a Comcast area. Any property I buy (in NJ) will be in a Cablevision town. I hate Comcast that much. (Though Cablevision is not without problems themselves.)

I hope this FIOS thing is a joke....Fios is still not available to me yet....but I think their website is full of crap. I think I'm gonna call them and see what's up.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,039 Admin
    It looks like this is directly associated with with Verizon Wireless purchasing a bunch of spectrum from the cable companies Comcast, Time Warner Cable, and Bright House. These cable companies originally bought the spectrum thinking they would compete in the wireless market, but it turned out not to be economically viable for them to expand so far out of their core business. It looks like Verizon might have agreed to repackage the cable company's content on a new wireless service. Seems it's cheaper for Verizon Wireless to dominate the air than it is for Verizon Communications to lay more fiber.

I really don't want to give up my FiOS connection and running my own router. With a cellular Internet connection, NATing is done at the ISP and no PATing for my servers, and Verizon Internet Services is your only choice for an ISP!
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The reason why I like FiOS is that I don't have to deal with the 3PM to 6PM high-traffic due to folks from next doors coming home and hog all the cable bandwidth. Although, I was surprised I got FiOS when I came home one day a few years ago, because of their ridiculous price, but my mom couldn't resist their Lifetime channels offer that Cablevision couldn't provide. Even if she tried bumping up to premium plan. Don't judge me. If I was her, I would probably stick with Cablevison, because I'm cheap, and I don't watch TV too often. I am not familiar with Comcast, but Cablevision isn't so bad.

So far, what I liked about FiOS is the free HD channels that came with the contract we signed up. Now that I moved back home from my previous school half a year ago, I brought my HD TV back with me. I'm the only one at home with an HD TV, and I think I'm the only one who take advantage of what they have to offer. I forgot to add NFL Network. I believe the number one reason why we FiOS customers like it is because of the speed of their broadband connection compares with other providers.
  • Options
    The internet speeds are awesome and let's face it FiOS just works. I've had few to any issues with any of the services that I have with them.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well AT&T offically announced after the markets closed that the T-Mobile deal is off. And so it goes....
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO